User has no idea why he/she is here

mariajames

Moderator Edit: extracted from the Forum sub-section identified as;

SpamCop Reporting

How to Instructions Only - Problems and issues belong in the other specific Forum sections

which is under the Forum section identified as;

How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials

System parts & Functions not fully explained under an existing Help menu / option .... Questions still needed to be asked about How to use/do something are to be posted into that function's Forum section.

entry itself was Posted into the Topic: SpamCop reporting of spamvertized URLs, Viewpoint(s)

As there is obviously no connection, Post wws split out from that Topic, made into a 'new' Topic and placed into the Lounge area This in contrast to making the immediate decision that this Post is simply spam of some sort and 'handling' the account involved. Of course, the more I look at it ......

PM sent. Title has a question due to the gender mismatch between the signature and the e-mail address used to register this account.

Ok, I know how to do the formulations to find the distance between to zip codes by using their latitude and longitude points. However, that is all I know how to do. I have a database with all zip codes and corresponding latitude and longitude points. I want to create a search on my site that...

Ok, I know how to do the formulations to find the distance between to zip codes by using their latitude and longitude points. However, that is all I know how to do. I have a database with all zip codes and corresponding latitude and longitude points. I want to create a search on my site that...

no real idea of what you are on about?

SpamCop just deals with IP addresses

once you have an IP you can find where on the planet it is by using programs or websites such as

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/

or

http://www.geobytes.com/ipLocator.htm

In olden times, it might have been useful to filter abusive network traffic by its geographic origin, and there are still many DNSBLs that do just this (or, at any rate, they identify the nation to which the IP is allocated). However, in the age of the diffused botnet, this doesn't seem like so much of an effective practice anymore.

In any case, IP addresses never did map very well to geographic locations, nor were they necessarily meant to.

-- rick

www.ipillion.com is fairly interesting - but the original poster probably needs to actually form a question?

locations of ip addresses change constantly - so accuracy would be variable for a particular area which would be generally only known to say perhaps a small local ISP. (if you knew the general location of the ISP even). For a large ISP the variables would increase.

I guess thee may be patterens discernable if a large ISP only uses IPs in a certain area, but then you are back at square one.

So many people post one message and dissapear in these forums.

In olden times, it might have been useful to filter abusive network traffic by its geographic origin, and there are still many DNSBLs that do just this (or, at any rate, they identify the nation to which the IP is allocated). However, in the age of the diffused botnet, this doesn't seem like so much of an effective practice anymore.

Looking at the national locations of the ISPs to whom I report my leaked spam, this is not so.

At least half are in in parts of the world where I have no or only one correspondent - the whole of Latin America for example. So if SpamCop mail let me select block lists for every country, not just China, Braxil etc I could improve my spam filtering a good deal at the expense of having to fish the occasional Ham email out of held mail from a travelling friend who I haven't whitelisted.

Archived