Spam w/o subject or message id headers

miggles

The large majority of the spam that I have received in the past week has been deemed unreportable by spamcop, due to an incomplete headers error. It appears that the lack of a subject or message id is what is triggering this error. As far as I can tell, this is not a matter of another mail server being misconfigured; these messages are being received directly by spamcop (see quoted headers below) from the spamming host, and spamcop's server is not appending a message id header to them. Can the spamcop mail server configuration be changed? Thanks.

Return-Path: <CGRDVNVLSQEZPS[at]hotmail.com>

Delivered-To: x

Received: (qmail 11977 invoked from network); 19 Apr 2004 04:38:14 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.101)

by blade6.cesmail.net with QMQP; 19 Apr 2004 04:38:14 -0000

Received: from dsl-201-128-132-91.prod-infinitum.com.mx (201.128.132.91)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 19 Apr 2004 04:38:13 -0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Originating-IP: [232.34.124.218]

X-Originating-Email: [homan[at]spamcop.net]

X-Sender: h[at]spamcop.net

Received: from 244.116.196.176 by by4adrienne.argumentative2.yahoo.com with HTTP;Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:01:41 GMT

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on blade6

X-spam-Level: ****

X-spam-Status: hits=4.9 tests=DATE_MISSING,FROM_NO_LOWER,J_CHICKENPOX_22,

J_CHICKENPOX_57,REMOVE_PAGE version=2.63

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.101 201.128.132.91

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked bl.spamcop.net

The large majority of the spam that I have received in the past week has been deemed unreportable by spamcop, due to an incomplete headers error.  It appears that the lack of a subject or message id is what is triggering this error.  As far as I can tell, this is not a matter of another mail server being misconfigured; these messages are being received directly by spamcop (see quoted headers below) from the spamming host, and spamcop's server is not appending a message id header to them.  Can the spamcop mail server configuration be changed?  Thanks.

[snip]

AIUI, the Message-ID is a required header which should be generated by the email client or the originating mail server. As I see it, it is a configuration error at the origination point.

That being said, RFC 2821 specifically allows the destination server to add the Message-ID header to emails that arrive without that header.

Here is a thread with links to other threads on this topic.

Your spam looks like my spam, which is getting worse, with no way to get Spamcop to report it automatically. You can do a manual parse if you know how (one of the threads has instructions).

I'm just waiting to see if things improve, or if it become a big enough issue for Julian to address it.

AIUI, the Message-ID is a required header which should be generated by the email client or the originating mail server.  As I see it, it is a configuration error at the origination point.

I doubt we'll have any luck getting the originating spammer to comply with RFC 2821. :) Hopefully, if any admins are reading, they can consider configuring spamcop to add the Message-ID: header in such cases as I described above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just wanted to report that in the course of the past couple of weeks, I have used the enhanced reporting system to report dozens of "defective" spam, with the result:

In the past few days, no more such spam has arrived!

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I think not.

I just got one that kind of indicates the spammer is trying more seriously to get around spam filters. There are so many gaps in the key words (like "mor tg age") that it's even hard for me to read! I've never seen such a mess.

But it didn't help. In the Held Mail, out the reporting system.

:)

Archived