complaintsresolution

dcrampton

I have been getting a lot of spam this month from a spammer who is sending his spam from one location, and using another source to host his spamvertized sites. most of his spamvetized sites are currenlty being hosted by singlehop.com , and some by mia.net.

Singlehop refused to offer any help telling me that I was not a paying customer, so they continue to host the spamvertized sites.

I am now starting to get some email from responses to some of the spam reported through spamcop saying :

"Hello, We have received your complaint and would like to remove your email from ourmailing list, however, spamcop does not forward your email address in thecomplaint you submitted. Please send me the email address that hassubscribed to our offer so we can suppress it from our list. Also, ifneeded, we can supply the opt in information once we have the subscribedemail address. Please let me know. "

To which I find amusing that the spammers want me to confirm my email address to them, and they make an attempt to claim that I had somehow opted in - to which I must have opted in as recipient [at] <my email account> as none of the spam were address directly to me.

Has anyone else here been recieving these emails asking for this to be sent back to complaintsresolutionATgmail .com?

I am just curious.

This is new to me, most of my spammers are crooks and don't care.

The hard line here is that giving up your address, even for "unsubscription," is tantamount to giving in to extortion (i.e., "give us your address and maybe we'll stop bothering you"). On the other hand, they are perhaps a notch above most spammers because they are at least asking to unsubscribe you.

Then again, the likely reason they are asking is that they are feeling some heat from providers, etc., so refusing to unsubscribe and continuing to report might help ease them out of the spam business.

To be fair, you should of course make sure that this wasn't something you signed up for in the past. If it were me, and I were to find they were using a real mail provider rather than a criminal botnet to send their traffic, my spidey-sense might tell me to proceed with some caution so that I wouldn't make a wrongful complaint.

-- rick

Hi, dcrampton,

...First: thank you for taking the time to find the correct SpamCop Forum in which to post! :) <g>

<snip>

Singlehop refused to offer any help telling me that I was not a paying customer

<snip>...

...In other words: it's okay for our customers to spam non-customers. To put it much more politely than my first thought: FU, spammer! :angry:
I am now starting to get some email from responses to some of the spam reported through spamcop saying :

"Hello, We have received your complaint and would like to remove your email from ourmailing list,

...That' called listwashing. This is common spammer behavior or, at best, what we spam victims typically view as irresponsible mailing list admin practice.
however, spamcop does not forward your email address in thecomplaint you submitted.

<snip>

...Happily!!!! :) <g>
Please send me the email address that hassubscribed to our offer so we can suppress it from our list. Also, ifneeded, we can supply the opt in information once we have the subscribedemail address...."

<snip>

...More spammer behavior - verify that an e-mail address is still an active address! Don't even think about it! :) <g> Also, not a very professional reply, with spaces between words missing in at least three different cases!

Archived