Single Email Limit

What is the maximum limit for a single email? My mail is being forwarded to my spamcop account. Two days ago I have stopped getting emails around 8 or 9Mb. They have picture attachments and are being sent by white-listed senders.

This is what yahoo (AT&T) sent back about the failure:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<xxxx[at]spamcop.net>:

64.88.168.82 failed after I sent the message.

Remote host said: 451 qq write error or disk full (#4.3.0)

I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

I appreciate the reply, but it did not shed any light on my problem. AT&T tells me I can receive up to a 25Meg file. I confirmed this by turning off the forwarding process to Spamcop.

...Sorry, did I misunderstand your inquiry? I thought you were asking whether SpamCop e-mail has a limit on incoming mail, per your:

<snip>

My mail is being forwarded to my spamcop account.

<snip>

(emphasis mine). Is the problem that you are trying to send e-mail from SpamCop e-mail and it is not arriving at your AT&T (Yahoo) inbox? Or am I misunderstanding the information in the SpamCop "thread" to which I referred you?

...Sorry, did I misunderstand your inquiry? I thought you were asking whether SpamCop e-mail has a limit on incoming mail, per your:(emphasis mine). Is the problem that you are trying to send e-mail from SpamCop e-mail and it is not arriving at your AT&T (Yahoo) inbox? Or am I misunderstanding the information in the SpamCop "thread" to which I referred you?

Mail is being forwarded from AT&T to my Spamcop account where it is POPed. It never shows.

Mail is being forwarded from AT&T to my Spamcop account where it is POPed. It never shows.
...Okay, then I believe the SpamCop "thread" to which I referred you is relevant because your situation is functionally similar to someone sending e-mail directly from somewhere else into your SpamCop e-mail account. See, especially:
We do not limit the size of incoming e-mails, so the limit is just whatever the servers can handle.

<snip>

E-mail is not designed for large attachments, and you really shouldn't expect an e-mail over 1 meg to get to its destination no matter where you send it from or to.

<snip>

Additionally, your message passes through different servers and software depending on how you sent it (webmail vs SMTP server vs forwarding), each one of which could have different limits. It can hop through a bunch of different ISPs and mail hosts on its way to its destination, all of which also have their own limits and attachment policies and virus scanners that could mangle or drop your message without warning.

<snip>

We've found the offending server with a 10MB limit along the route to Spamcop.

<snip>

...Okay, then I believe the SpamCop "thread" to which I referred you is relevant because your situation is functionally similar to someone sending e-mail directly from somewhere else into your SpamCop e-mail account. See, especially:

I did look through all of those and yes they are pretty old. What I find strange is the server message about disk full or disk errors is coming from Spamcop's IP.

<snip>

I did look through all of those and yes they are pretty old.

...But hopefully still true. :) <smile>
What I find strange is the server message about disk full or disk errors is coming from Spamcop's IP.
...Yes, I noticed that. That's why I included the following in my last post (emphasis mine):
We do not limit the size of incoming e-mails, so the limit is just whatever the servers can handle.

<snip>

<xxxx[at]spamcop.net>:

64.88.168.82 failed after I sent the message.

Remote host said: 451 qq write error or disk full (#4.3.0)

What I find strange is the server message about disk full or disk errors is coming from Spamcop's IP.

Please re-read the 'error' message.

There is quite a pile of servers involved in the handling of your incoming. Sending e-mails this huge is simply problenatic, as stated in so many places. For example, a general defaullt of a PHP install these days is a file-size limit of 4-Meg (up from 1-Meg just a few years back) .... It is possible that the actual issue was that a huge (e-mail with an attached) file was received, and during the processing/handling, it hit a server that hasn't had a manual configuration change to bump up some of the defailt limits. So there would have been a "file write" error when trying to save the incoming.

Archived