USB email client

petzl

Never used it but all mail apps in the "Mozilla" stable I have used (from early Netscape through to current SeaMonkey) have allowed selection of message (without opening it) and:

• menu "View"
  • selection "Message Source"

- opens a new screen with the full source including all headers, multipart divisions, HTML/JS code, attachments in Base64, etc. Does T'bird portable have that menu selection for the unopened message?

Never used it but all mail apps in the "Mozilla" stable I have used (from early Netscape through to current SeaMonkey) have allowed selection of message (without opening it) and:
  • menu "View"
  • selection "Message Source"

- opens a new screen with the full source including all headers, multipart divisions, HTML/JS code, attachments in Base64, etc. Does T'bird portable have that menu selection for the unopened message?

Thanks

I did find Ctrl+U shows all headers and body info

or View and "message source"

The USB email client from "Thunderbird" seems very good

Takes a little geting used to

...Takes a little geting used to
No doubt - every app has its good points and "bad". You wish, until you get used to the new, that you could "cherry-pick" the best features of the new and the old familiar one. Really it's all just encouraging a slightly different way of doing things which seems completely "natural" after a while.

No doubt the portable T'bird will occasionally throw up the mysterious "non message" which has been discussed in these forums before. I believe that just comes down to the way you delete messages (a very minor user "error", hitting the "delete" once too often) so don't be too perturbed if you come across one of those mysterious artefacts in your inbox at some stage. I haven't seen one for many years, apart from one I managed to invoke deliberately for the purpose of off-forum discussion with Rooster, some years back. Apparently I have unconsciously adjusted my ways of working, found it quite hard to "revert" enough to get the result.

Mozilla stuff generally has a particularly excellent message search tool for downloaded e-mail and newsgroup postings but I guess that will be less important in a portable client.

No doubt - every app has its good points and "bad". You wish, until you get used to the new, that you could "cherry-pick" the best features of the new and the old familiar one.

[snip]

Mozilla stuff generally has a particularly excellent message search tool for downloaded e-mail and newsgroup postings but I guess that will be less important in a portable client.

The portable version though needs a password to stop program opening for just anyone who finds your lost USB drive. Version 5 so far does not seem buggy though

• 3 months later...

One very good mail client that I've previously used installed on a USB stick is Pegasus mail; been using this software for years and wouldn't touch Outlook with a stick!

Free download / free usage at pmail[dot]com (even from your end of the world; the author is in New Zealand).

One very good mail client that I've previously used installed on a USB stick is Pegasus mail; been using this software for years and wouldn't touch Outlook with a stick!

Free download / free usage at pmail[dot]com (even from your end of the world; the author is in New Zealand).

Used Pegasus years ago. Just tried putting it on a USB doesn't seem simple so aborted.

Don't see where it is designed for USB?

http://www.pmail.com/

Excerpted from the manual...

"Pegasus Mail can be installed onto a memory stick, in a way that allows you to take the memory

stick to any computer, plug it in, and have full access to the program and your mail. Doing

this requires the use of a special commandline switch that turns on Pegasus Mail’s Roaming

Mode (see below for more on commandline switches). The Pegasus Mail installer automatically

supplies this switch, so all you need to do if you want to install Pegasus Mail on a memory

stick is to select the memory stick as the installer destination."

Excerpted from the manual...

"Pegasus Mail can be installed onto a memory stick, in a way that allows you to take the memory

stick to any computer, plug it in, and have full access to the program and your mail. Doing

this requires the use of a special commandline switch that turns on Pegasus Mail’s Roaming

Mode (see below for more on commandline switches). The Pegasus Mail installer automatically

supplies this switch, so all you need to do if you want to install Pegasus Mail on a memory

stick is to select the memory stick as the installer destination."

Looked through web pages (Googled) and did not see any successful reference to USB?

http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/30554.aspx

Also looked at the blank help file (no mention)

Did then try what is mentioned (installed to USB). then were not happy (suspicious) it installed to "Program Files" folder. Not wanting a "blue screen of death" (yes Microsoft have feature back) abandoned.

• 7 years later...

Archived