Spamcop reporting wrong IP for websites proxied by Cloudflare

dg3274

I am starting to get my reports returned to me (from Clouldflare) when I report an email that contains a spamvertized website that happens to be using the Cloudflare service. Spamcop is reporting the Cloudflare IP rather than the real IP of the website and the report is going to Cloudflare instead of the real owner of the spamvertized website.

This is what Cloudflare sends back to me after Spamcop submits a report to them:

CloudFlare received your abuse complaint dated September 15, 2011 regarding moourl.com. CloudFlare is a pass-through network provider and, at most, automatically caches content for a limited period in order to improve network performance. CloudFlare is not a hosting provider and does not provide hosting services or email services for moourl.com or any other website.

Our investigation indicates that

moourl.com is at 67.207.150.147

. You should direct your request to:

1. The provider where

moourl.com is hosted;

2. The owner listed in the whois record for moourl.com and/or 3. The contact listed on the moourl.com site.

I need to see the report you sent.

Can you email me a report ID number, or maybe a complete copy of the email from Cloudflare? A Tracking URL would work, too.

dg3274,

I agree that a tracking URL would help a bunch here. Anyone can get an old tracking URL by going back to reports and looking at the history. Without a tracking URL, all I can say is that from what I know, moomurl.com points to cloudflare. At this point, we cannot verify their "proxy service", so shouldn't they be the ones to report back to the original site?

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	moourl.com
Addresses:  199.27.135.43

CloudFlare, Inc. CLOUDFLARENET (NET-199-27-128-0-1) 199.27.128.0 - 199.27.135.255
CloudFlare, Inc. CLOUDFLARENET (NET-173-245-48-0-1) 173.245.48.0 - 173.245.63.255

I have written to CloudFare twice and explained that they are a spam support service because they are publishing spam sites.

No response.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

They are still bouncing my reports back to me. This is rather disappointing as I actually use their services for my website. I'm very happy with their services. They are all about making the internet a safer place so I'm really suprised to see that they are not taking any action against the spamvertized websites they are providing service to.

Are you saying that CloudFare is rejecting your reports, or that they are replying to your reports?

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

They are replying with the same response as in my original post. In other words nothing has changed after you tried contacting them.

Archived