error: Headers not found

metaed

I am configuring my Mailhosts. After making considerable progress, one specimen e-mail is being refused with the error:

Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:
Headers not found.
It appears you did not provide all email headers.  Please consult this FAQ
for more information on getting full headers from your software, then try
again.

The specimen was delivered to me in Gmail, and I copied/pasted it from View Source into the box titled "Paste headers (or entire intact email)". This exact procedure worked fine for all previous specimens.

I have looked closely at the specimen and found nothing unusual. Unless I missed something, it's 7-bit ASCII and conforms to RFC 822.

Where do I go from here?

I am configuring my Mailhosts. After making considerable progress, one specimen e-mail is being refused with the error:

Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:
Headers not found.
It appears you did not provide all email headers.  Please consult this FAQ
for more information on getting full headers from your software, then try
again.

The specimen was delivered to me in Gmail, and I copied/pasted it from View Source into the box titled "Paste headers (or entire intact email)". This exact procedure worked fine for all previous specimens.

I have looked closely at the specimen and found nothing unusual. Unless I missed something, it's 7-bit ASCII and conforms to RFC 822.

Where do I go from here?

A tracking URL could be also helpful. When I get a message like this, it could means that SpamCop could not see any headers. This could be that your spam came from and internal Gmail users.

A tracking URL could be also helpful.
Note this is a Mailhosts configuration specimen e-mail. That is, it's not a spam, but one of those e-mails you get back during Mailhosts configuration, that you then copy and paste into the box titled "Paste headers" for analysis and adding to your list of Mailhosts.

Consequently there is no tracking URL. In any case, the content of such messages specifically states: do not post this email in public.

Note this is a Mailhosts configuration specimen e-mail. That is, it's not a spam, but one of those e-mails you get back during Mailhosts configuration, that you then copy and paste into the box titled "Paste headers" for analysis and adding to your list of Mailhosts.

Consequently there is no tracking URL. In any case, the content of such messages specifically states: do not post this email in public.

Ah, when you copied out the mail host email out, did you use the drop-down option on the right for "show original"? Gmail has the headers hidden there. SpamCop needs these headers to see all servers that test message goes through.

I apologize: I originally wrote that I copied/pasted from View Source. But in fact I copy/pasted from Show Original. So yes, I did paste the complete RFC [2]822 message with all headers intact.

What mystifies me is that I was able to perform this exact procedure and validate three other Mailhosts. It seems there must be something about this particular specimen e-mail which is frustrating the parser.

I apologize: I originally wrote that I copied/pasted from View Source. But in fact I copy/pasted from Show Original. So yes, I did paste the complete RFC [2]822 message with all headers intact.

What mystifies me is that I was able to perform this exact procedure and validate three other Mailhosts. It seems there must be something about this particular specimen e-mail which is frustrating the parser.

Ouch on my part, as "Show Original" was called "View Source" on the last gmail template. If I recall right, there is a body box and a header box. It sounds like you are pasting the whole thing as one message into the header section as expected. I am not able to test it as I have a permanent "Gateway Timeout". As soon as it comes back, I can try this myself.

I am not able to test it as I have a permanent "Gateway Timeout". As soon as it comes back, I can try this myself.
I feel your pain.

If I recall right, there is a body box and a header box. It sounds like you are pasting the whole thing as one message into the header section as expected.
Yes, exactly. I am pasting the whole RFC 822 message into the "header" box.

If you will email me a complete copy of the configuration message you're having trouble with, I should be able to help.

Send it to: service[at]spamcop.net

Do NOT post it here.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Well, all is working again and I am not able to duplicate it with the received lines. I noticed that gmail puts a bunch of spaces at the beginning of the RFC822 message, but the "Return mailhost configuration" screen still accepts it. The only wait I can get the error to duplicate is to start the headers with "Hello SpamCop user,". It could have been related to the partial outage. Don will find something when you forward the message to him.

Archived