Mailhosts and mailing lists

Is there a way to teach mailhosts not to blame a mailing list for spam? I.e., to add the mailing list as if it were one of my valid addresses? I don't think I want to send the mailhost probe message to the mailing list...

Of course I don't understand, as I'm not using it .. but .. I don't understand your question. The mail-host thing is a table built around your e-mail servers/sources. A mailing-list comes from a server elsewhere, just as does other good / bad e-mail. Parsing is done on the source and path of the e-mail, not whether it's a mailing-list, spam, or a letter from Mom .... You make the call as to whether it's spam or not.

Are you perhaps somehow confusing the terms mail-host and filtering?

send the mailhost probe message to the mailing list

and this one has me very confused ... what mailing list?

Parsing is done on the source and path of the e-mail, not whether it's a mailing-list, spam, or a letter from Mom ....  You make the call as to whether it's spam or not.

Right. And I want to tell the mailhost table that I trust the mailing list server not to be a spam source, so to look beyond that for the real source of the spam.

Unless you are the owner/moderator of the maillist you should not be reporting spam sent to a mailling list.

Because these kinds of errors will happen? Seems too bad, because spam to a mailing list is extra annoying.

Unless you are the owner/moderator of the maillist you should not be reporting spam sent to a mailling list.

Because these kinds of errors will happen? Seems too bad, because spam to a mailing list is extra annoying.

The point is that the owner/moderator of the list is the indivdual that needs to take action against the spammer. Everyone agrees with the thought that spam is bad ...

Ah, then the current system already works. If I report spam I get via a mailing list, the mailing list will be fingered as the spammer, and the owner will be motivated to tighten up their spam controls. [ :-)/2 ]

Ah, then the current system already works.  If I report spam I get via a mailing list, the mailing list will be fingered as the spammer, and the owner will be motivated to tighten up their spam controls.  [ :-)/2 ]

No -- do *not* report spam sent to a mailing list. It is the owner/moderator's responsibility to report that. If you don't think the owner/moderator is handling the list properly then complain to them or form a new list. Causing the list server to be listed does several things -- not a one of them good -- 1) most listservers are handling a bunch of lists, it causes problems for all of them; 2) it causes the server owner who may or may not be the listowner to write to us all pissed off; and 3) it causes us to have to investigate, apologize to the server owner and suspend your account -- all of which take time and 4)it makes you and us look like morons.

If you feel strongly about notifying someone for list spam then send manual notes to where ever you think they should be sent.

Archived