AOL Headers

SpamCopAdmin

If you are using an e-mail client instead of WebMail, let us know what one you use.

I'm using the "native" AOL 9.1 software I don't see anything remotely resembling the "action" available in the web based version.

View all Headers in AOL

AOL makes it easy for you to identify mail that originated from outside the AOL service by replacing the mail headers with a simple line that reads "Sent from the Internet (Details)."

At the top of the email, to the right of Sent from the Internet, click the Details link.

To Set up email headers:

1. Sign on to the AOL service, and then click the Settings icon.

2. Click the Mail Settings link.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Under the When reading mail in Full View, click one of the following options:

Always minimize headers

Always minimize headers when I scroll

Never minimize headers

5. Click the Save button.

Note: email from another AOL member will not include a header because the email has not traveled outside the AOL service.

Reference:

hxxp://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=187620

View all Headers in AOL

Reference:

hxxp://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=187620

Thanks for the input. Not sure what hxxp is, but didn't resolve. Replaced with http, got the info you noted.

The "always hide/never hide" settings don't appear to change anything.

One big problem is that those headers do not follow whatever protocol Spamcop requires. Indented continuation lines appear to use a tab character that translates to spaces if you try to paste at top of email to forward to spamcop. It works somewhat, but since it does not include any boundary information, spamcop ignores the body. At least once that I noticed, spamcop corrupted the embedded "hidden" link in the body with such a forwarded email submission.

The spamcop "outlook/eudora hack" two part submission form can overcome the problem with the headers, and as since already separated, the body border issue. But that form does NOT properly handle any embedded HTML links. Copy and pasting there corrupts/reduces it to the visible text instead of the underlying HTML code. It requires the RAW HTML which is does not appear to be available with the native AOL software, only via the online web based email reader.

So far, the browser option gives the best "source" to submit spam to Spamcop, but not the various other utilities like archiving email, or offline use that the "native" AOL software does.

The "hxxp" is just to keep the link from resolving in the forum (as I am not promoting that site through SpamCop). Yes replacing it with http or coping/paste the URL without the "hxxp://" will also work.

Reading AOL forums, to get the full header and body users need to save the email as an HTML from with-in the programs "save as". Open the email, then save as.

Its a long process, email saving, html opening as text, copying, spamcop pasting, sending... and as others have posted, it seems like they are trying to make it harder (like Yahoo...).

You are correct; "So far, the browser option gives the best "source" to submit spam to Spamcop".

SpamCop Admin: I searched but couldn't find... Will SpamCop accept email attachments as HTML???

Then the AOL (not AOL webmail) users could save their email header/body (with links) as an HTML, then when finished forward them to SpamCop as an email attachment!

>- Will SpamCop accept email attachments as HTML???

SpamCop will accept HTML encoded spam when it is sent as an attachment to a user created "carrier" email that is addressed to the user's 'submit' address.

Caveat... The email you use to send the spam CAN NOT be HTML encoded. The carrier email used to send in the HTML encoded spam has to be a Plain Text email.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

The "hxxp" is just to keep the link from resolving in the forum (as I am not promoting that site through SpamCop). Yes replacing it with http or coping/paste the URL without the "hxxp://" will also work.

Reading AOL forums, to get the full header and body users need to save the email as an HTML from with-in the programs "save as". Open the email, then save as.

Its a long process, email saving, html opening as text, copying, spamcop pasting, sending... and as others have posted, it seems like they are trying to make it harder (like Yahoo...).

You are correct; "So far, the browser option gives the best "source" to submit spam to Spamcop".

SpamCop Admin: I searched but couldn't find... Will SpamCop accept email attachments as HTML???

Then the AOL (not AOL webmail) users could save their email header/body (with links) as an HTML, then when finished forward them to SpamCop as an email attachment!

Just tried it and the saved file is the body only, no headers and no boundary for body like the browser option. It is also has the AOL display/css info that is NOT in original (hxxp edit version):

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html><head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<style type="text/css">

BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;}

a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;}

a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;}

a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;}

a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;}

</style></head>

<body>

<a href="hxxp://bit.ly/QR1DyA">hxxp://bit.ly/QR1DyA</a> Replica`Watches`OnSale

Just tried it and the saved file is the body only, no headers and no boundary for body like the browser option. It is also has the AOL display/css info that is NOT in original (hxxp edit version):
Little help from me then... as I don't have the AOL mail program to work with it!

Does the AOL client program have a "message properties" like in Outlook?

Seems like the email programs would be user and advance user friendly, not only pretty!! Guess their programers don't think the AOL users need to know about the headers, or they don't want them to report them outside of AOL.

Thanks - Don D'Minion for the reply

Little help from me then... as I don't have the AOL mail program to work with it!

Does the AOL client program have a "message properties" like in Outlook?

Seems like the email programs would be user and advance user friendly, not only pretty!! Guess their programers don't think the AOL users need to know about the headers, or they don't want them to report them outside of AOL.

Thanks - Don D'Minion for the reply

No such option in AOL client, but thanks for all the info and discussion.

AOL, like Microsoft and Facebook and... do whatever they want. AOL used to display the headers. Actually surprising they have it on the browser version.

If the Spamcop form could/would accept the direct copy&paste of encoded text, or maybe provide a page that would, that would make it a simpler process for AOL users at least for when there are embedded links.

Archived