Prodigy (?) Bouncing SC Reports

Mikey

Don't know if anyone else is seeing this:

User's mailbox is full: <abus3swbe11[at]prodigy.net>

Unable to deliver mail.

Nice to know an abuse desk doesn't read their mail. Can someone in the head-shed switch it to "postmaster" or "root" or something?

The SC Parser gives the following output for prodigy.net:

<QUOTE>

Parsing input: prodigy.net

No valid email addresses found, sorry!

There are several possible reasons for this:

• The site involved may not want reports from SpamCop.
  • SpamCop administrators may have decided to stop sending reports to the site to prevent listwashing.
  • SpamCop uses internal routeing to contact this site, only knows about the internal method and so cannot provide an externally-valid email address.
  • There may be no working email address to receive reports.

<END QUOTE>

There may not be any options for reporting through SC, but you can manually LART prodigy at abuse[at]prodigy.net (for all the good it will do).

Unable to deliver mail.

Nice to know an abuse desk doesn't read their mail.  Can someone in the head-shed switch it to "postmaster" or "root" or something?

Where did that "abuse" address come from? Did you submit a spam that generated a report to that address?

If so, perhaps a spammer managed to get a fake abuse address listed with abuse.net for his domain. I can't believe that a real abuse department would use such an address.

My guess is that prodigy.net is an innocent bystander here. But I'd need to see a tracking URL to be sure...

Unable to deliver mail.

Nice to know an abuse desk doesn't read their mail.  Can someone in the head-shed switch it to "postmaster" or "root" or something?

Yes we saw that this AM -- right now I am going to leave it as I assume someone there will fix it. I think the address I saw it for was sbcglobal

The following is taken from a post in NANAE:

<QUOTE>

Complaint sent to swbell.net[at]abuse.net, which is

whois -h whois.abuse.net swbell.net ...

abuse[at]swbell.net (for swbell.net)

got returned:

<MAILER-DAEMON[at]prodigy.net>

Subject:

Returned mail: Abuse complaint: pill spam titled "Get V.icodin

Prescription Directly"

Date:

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:29:33 -0400

To:

<me>

Unable to deliver mail.

<END QUOTE>

It seems that prodigy is bouncing more than SC emails, and that the weird abus3swbe11 username isn't a hack.

Ya folks, sorry, I wasn't too clear there. Didn't mean to confuze....

1. This is NOT the result of something I entered manually. It was a response to one of the automatically generated LART addresses from SC.

2. You'll note the question mark after the Prodigy in my original post. I don't remember ever seeing prodigy in any of the recipients pulled up by SC after it parsed the spam. I can only assume that there is actually a different address in the To: as sent by SC. I wonder if this is the old Prodigy content provider from the early 90's. Compuserve anyone? The Source? Man.... am I dating myself.

Looks like Dr. Spambo has some info in his last post. Must be Southwest Bell.

3. This is about the third time I've seen this over the past couple months. I don't think it is anything new although perhaps it comes and goes as someone cleans the box out.

Archived