Use of cached POC data in report processing

Ichibrosan

I am here today because I have seen the darker side of SpamCop. As the previous owner of a fairly large IP block, I have been receiving SpamCop reports and threats from an end-user. Since the transfer of my IP assets at ARIN took place a while back, I was surprised that I was receiving the reports. I went to the ARIN.NET site and looked up the IP numbers in question, and my email address was not among the POCs associated with the block.

Upon further investigation, I found that the reports were being sent to me because of cached POC data at SpamCop. I understand why some caching is advantageous. If a high frequency spam source is operating, querying ARIN in real-time for each message would place a huge load on ARIN's database servers.

In my case, an end user contacted me personally by email and threatened to mail bomb me until I brought the spam source under control. This was unfortunate because once I had contacted the new owners of the block about the reported problem, I had no further recourse. This end-user is now very unhappy with me, and it is not my fault. The SpamCop system told him I was the point of contact for the range of IP numbers involved.

I don't know how to resolve this "cache" problem, except to suggest that the POC cache should invalidate on a periodic basis, and certainly no less often than daily IMHO.

...I don't know how to resolve this "cache" problem, except to suggest that the POC cache should invalidate on a periodic basis, and certainly no less often than daily IMHO.
Sorry to hear of your problems, suggest you write to the SC Deputies or Admin (either) at deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net or service[at]admin.spamcop.net reiterating the story and nominating the problem range or pointing to the URL of this topic.

Steve S

...In addition to Steve's excellent advice, I would suggest you include as much information as you have about the souce of the threat in your communcations to SpamCop (not here, in public view) -- they will (I hope and expect) take a very dim view of such threats, especially to an innocent bystander such as yourself, and take at least mild disciplinary action against the perpetrator.

...Thank you for your understanding about SpamCop's caching. But if the information is more than a few days old, I fullly agree with you that the cache should have expired.

The SpamCop system told him I was the point of contact for the range of IP numbers involved.

I don't know how to resolve this "cache" problem, except to suggest that the POC cache should invalidate on a periodic basis, and certainly no less often than daily IMHO.

Any chance of an IP number?

SpamCop robot does or did renew its cache ?

May need a look?

A paid member using SpamCop can refresh the Cache for that IP block

by going here

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

put in IP eg. 61.234.54.102 and end up here

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=61.234.54.102

Click " (Trace IP)"

Then on that page

Click "[refresh/show]"

this will refresh the cached entry to latest contact address (unless locked by Admin)

Sometimes IP owners have special reporting addresses set up. If they leave the address then doesn't notify? {erhaps these need expire on a timed interval also?

Archived