Erroneous bounce/rejection notices

npudar

A friend is trying to send emails to my wife, and they are getting bounced/rejected. The response says that our computer's "SpamCop" is rejecting the email.

We don't use SpamCop, so I'm wondering what is going on. I have my own domain hosted on HostGator (they use spam Assassin). We get our email through Outlook 2010 via IMAP.

Our friend told us this via SMS message. What info should I get from their email for root cause analysis?

Is there something that might be on our computer with SpamCop? If so, how do I check? So far, looking through TaskManager, I see nothing.

One final fact: our friend sent the email from their Yahoo account.

Thanks,

Nick

I have my own domain hosted on HostGator (they use spam Assassin). We get our email through Outlook 2010 via IMAP.

I believe the answer is with HostGator and their mail server(s). It is not on your local PC or Outlook.

If you search here you will find many (several) examples where mail servers have add-ons that are mis-configured and report in the bounce message that 'SpamCop made me do it' when in fact some other criteria was used. If in fact SpamCop was used, this is not the recommended use of the SCBL. If an IP is on the SCBL the email should be directed to a spam folder, not bounced as your friend's email was.

You could go to http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml and check to see if your friend's mail server IP (Yahoo) is currently listed.

Archived