suggestion

this may already take place with spamcop, so just in case. does spamcop e-mail spam complaints to networks that bad isps use. for instance, chinanet or all the korean isp eventually end up on bandwith from att, or the like. can we put pressure on the 'carriers' to pressure bad isps?

if not, perhaps we should.............

anyone else?

I thought their mission was to stop spam?

thanks everybody!

As I understand it, Spamcop will "widen the net" if an ISP is unresponsive and start sending reports to the upstream provider(s).

But I could be mistaken...

this may already take place with spamcop, so just in case.  does spamcop e-mail spam complaints to networks that bad isps use.  for instance, chinanet or all the korean isp eventually end up on bandwith from att, or the like.  can we put pressure on the 'carriers' to pressure bad isps?

if not, perhaps we should.............

complaints are generated to be sent to the registered addresses of the source. Upon the user's agreement that the souce is 'valid' .. the reports are sent.

If reports get bounced, addresses are flagged, no more bandwidth is lost in the continuation of sending more reports to be bounced, but report still counts as a mark in the BL database. (This is where you'll note the dev/null addresses.)

The recipient ISP has several options upo reciept of a complaint, to include turning off the flow of complaints. In one case, this will turn off complaint flow for 24 hours, then flow will start again of spam report submittals start arriving again. Pther cases set the ISP as a "don't bother me" mode, that can be challenged by paid members, if more spew arrives. And for completeness, there are options to make inqueries for more data, contacting the reporter (via the SpamCop system), and even making a challenge to the report.

In the case that a reporter makes note that complaints go to the same target, day after day, week after week, month after month, then the reporter has to option to investigate the details, make complaints known to upstreams. There is a newsgroup (news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.routing ) that was set up to take nomination (with details to justify) for reports to go to a place in conjunction with and/or in leiu of the registered and previously identified abuse addresses.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked this question a while back and got only one response that said it is done sometimes. the question is, when dealing with garbage isp, say in korea and china, somewhere along the line they are using bandwith from att, qwest, etc. I receive 90 percent of my spam from korea, they obviously don't care so why don't we move it upstream? Last time I was told that if they were unresponsive this is sometimes done, but now i know its never done, why not? this would be very effective I think? thoughts?

I do know for china complaints, that there is an address for their upstream at sprint. I don't know why att, qwest are not used, but I don't think they are much more responsive than korean isp's. And I have not seen any effect from notifying sprint.

So, IMHO, I don't know that it would be much more effective. Most people handle the problem by blocking all of Korea (or China).

There is also the desire of the backbones to be notified to take into consideration. Spamcop does not notify ISP's who don't want notification.

There is a spamcop newsgroup which handles routing questions. You would get much better answers there. spamcop.routing

Miss Betsy

I asked this question a while back

and as you even remembered it, the one you called the jerk decided to "Merge" your current posting on the same subject into the Topic you started, thus continuing your discusiion in a single Topic.

I thought their mission was to stop spam?

SpamCop is a tool to assist in reporting spam, but specifically, it doesn't report spam, you do. The SpamCopDNSbl is an internal tool used to aid in filtering the accounts of the paid Filtered E-Mail subscribers, though the database is made available to others that want to use it. And even this isn't a tool to "stop" spam, it's a management tool. To actually stop spam, the ISP of the spew source must be involved, and I think it's been stated a few times, if that ISP isn't going to take a hands-on approach, it's a bit diffcult to "stop"

When you start going upstream, there's a number of decisions to be made by that entity. Say your concern deals with an ISP that generates 12% of this upstream's total traffic. And out of that 12%, perhaps 10% can be defined as spam. At what point does it balance out for the upstream to devote staff and time to analyzing this smidgen of traffic, much less get proactive and actually deny service? Enough complaints may tip the scales, but ...

lol, that was on a post that some guy was asking a question and you jumped all over him. at the time i didn't know he was a freak who thought the world was out to get him. i thought the poor guy was just trying to get a question answered. I had no idea at the time, but my bad now.....lol

no problem, I was just doing the "search on all posts by this user" to find where you'd asked before and that one popped up, reminding me that I should be "careful" in responding in your Topic <g>

Archived