Big Delay in Collecting Mail?

Hi,

I use Spamcop to collect mail via POP3 from my ISP, filter it, then I collect it via POP3 from Spamcop.

This has been working just fine for the past few weeks. However today I have noticed a lack of incoming e-mails. Checked my Spamcop mail via webmail, nothing new. Checked my ISP mail via webmail... some 60+ messages waiting for me since yesterday evening.

So Spamcop doesn't appear to have collected my ISP mail for the past few hours. I've had a good search for a "Server Status" page on the Spamcop website (to see if there were delays caused by, say, the Sasser Virus outbreak) but can't find anything to shed any light.

So... two questions...

1. Any suggestions as to why my ISP mail is not being collected by Spamcop to be filtered and delivered onto me.

2. For circumstances such as these, does SpamCop have a "Server Status" page or anything similiar to advise me if there are any delays/outages/etc.

TIA.

Hi,

Just as a follow up to the above. All my mails came through today at around 14:00 GMT.

I did give a helping hand by deleting tons of spam from the ISP side so only a quarter of the original number of messages were waiting to be collected by SpamCop. Not sure if this made any odds at all.

Not sure if there was a problem that was fixed or not. I have not seen any other complaints, so a complete outage is not likely.

The POPping of email from accounts works on a schedule that sometimes is affected by the amount of messages being received by all accounts using POP. For instance, if the job is scheduled to run every 15 minutes and normally takes 5 minutes to complete, it will stay on schedule. But if there is a problem with one of the accounts or there is just more messages to be collected on a certain pass, it might take 20 minutes to complete, the original scedule would be off by 5 minutes.

If you have the capability at your ISP, it would be better to have them forward the message to your spamcop account. It gets your messages to spamcop immediately upon them hitting your ISP mailbox and takes the load off of spamcop's servers to collect it.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the explanation. I would set my ISP to forward e-mails rather than SpamCop collect them but I have tended to find forward provides some redundancy for collecting e-mails in the event of any providers outages.

If all else fails, I can connect to my ISP's Webmail to read any urgent messages and not have to wait for them to be delivered to me through SpamCop.

Thanks again for the details though.

Archived