Hotmail

Hi, I finally figured out how to pop e-mail from a hotmail.com and yahoo account to the SpamCop webmail for reporting. I have unchecked the <<leave on server option>> in the pop setup.

However with junkmail set to default in hotmail some e-mail ends up in the trash folder before reporting or is moved to the trash folder after the webmail pop transfer making difficult to separate what was already reported from new junkmail...A similar problem occurs in yahoo with spam filtering off in the yahoo mail..

How can I separate reported from un-reported e-mail?

I have a Yahoo account, but it is set to forward to my spamcop account. I have the SpamGuard (or whatever they call it) turned off so that all mail received by this yahoo address comes to my SpamCop account. I do no reporting using yahoo's tools.

Are you trying to find a happy medium between POPing mail from these external accounts while still being able to benefit from their built in spam detection and reporting systems?

I don't use hotmail (I also use yahoo) but I will give it a try. I do have some questions, however:

However with junkmail set to default in hotmail some e-mail ends up in the trash folder before reporting or is moved to the trash folder after the webmail pop transfer making difficult to separate what was already reported from new junkmail...A similar problem occurs in yahoo with spam filtering off in the yahoo mail..

How can I separate reported from un-reported e-mail?

Are the messages going into the trash folder of hotmail or webmail?

It should not show up in webmail trash unless you have a webmail (or local IMAP) filter to preform that task. It should only go into the Inbox or Held Mail. It should automatically go into the trash folder after it has been reported via the webmail interface or the VER page.

New junk mail should only be located in the Held Mail folder.

If hotmail, I would assume you need to turn off the hotmail filtering or ignore it (does hotmail automatically empty the filtered messages after a while?)

You mention before and after reporting. Reporting where (hotmail or spamcop)?

I know yahoo has a spamfilter you can enable or disable. I leave mine enabled and only report anything that passes through it. However, I never had any message go directly into my Trash folder when I had it disabled.

My first step would be to disable any filters you have in webmail and/or your IMAP client (depending on how you access your messages on the spamcop server).

If things are still happening as you say, you might want to contact JT to look at your account and figure out why. You will probably need to furnish your spamcop account, and at least reference a specific message you believe was popped from hotmail or yahoo and placed directly into the Trash folder.

I think (and could be wrong) the deputies<at>spamcop.net address is mostly for the parsing side of things. jefft is the admin of the email side of the business. His email might be support<at>spamcop.net.

Messages are going back into the hotmail trash. I think the yahoo deletes it after popping into Spamcop webmail with the filters turned off on the yahoo site, so that is no longer an issue. The reson I want hotmail transfered to the webmail is that I want it reported in bulk with the held mail feature rather than doing it manually one by one. There is no feature in the free yahoo to forward more mails at once, so popping from spamcop webmail is deffinitely more efficient with the amount of spam I get there.

Since I started reporting yesterday I noticed a considerable reduction in the spam I had sent to both the hotmail and yahoo. I think that there is considerable overlap between those spams and ones I get at my regular e-mail servers, both in content and origin so reporting them will slow down most spam I get...

Messages are going back into the hotmail trash.

OK. Are you seeing both cases you describe here?

some e-mail ends up in the trash folder before reporting or is moved to the trash folder after the webmail pop transfer

What does "junkmail set to default" do with the messages?

Does it move it to the trash folder or another Held Mail folder? If you want the message sent to your spamcop heldmail folder, you will probably need to turn off the hotmail filtering. POP only pulls messages from the inbox.

Does hotmail move copies of the message to the trash folder after popping? If the messages are showing up in both spamcop (Held Mail or Inbox) and hotmail that is probably the case and you can ignore the hotmail trash folder.

Does hotmail empty the trash folder and/or does it count against a quota on their servers.

Hope this helps

What does "junkmail set to default" do with the messages?

In hotmail you have 3 levels of junkmail, default trashes (in hotmail trash folder) obvious spam, medium uses some filtering and extreme sends everything to junk unless in your mail adress contacts. Unfortunately spammers have found ways to avoid that feature, with the highest feature I still have to check for false positive in hotmail/junk folder.

In any event, spamcop webmail only pops the hotmail/inbox contents. And since most spam is quite obvious it ends up in the hotmail/trash folder before the spamcop popping cycle or it still ends there after poppinf in webmail (which I have no control over). So I end up with a mix od reported and un-reported spam in my hotmail/trash folder, unless I am faster than the popping cycle, which is very unlikely...In fact I would like to have everything forwarded to spamcop webmail automatically without me having to log into Hotmail. The problem is that I did not find a way to keep all the hotmail in the hotmail/inbox and delete it there after spamcop uploads it to the webmail. That is a feature that is available for most pop servers.

First of all, I am not sure if hotmail allows regular POP or uses the popgate configuration which is not a true POP client. If you use a server of popgate.cesmail.net, you are not doing a true POP of the messages.

The problem is that I did not find a way to keep all the hotmail in the hotmail/inbox and delete it there after spamcop uploads it to the webmail. That is a feature that is available for most pop servers.

Getting all of the messages in hotmail inbox is a function of hotmail, ask there. It does not sound like you can do it by what you describe. You will need to forget the "obvious spam" that hotmail moves. POP does not know how to handle subdirectories.

The "leave on server" switch works as expected. If unchecked, it will delete all messages it finds in the inbox after POPping them. Technically, the server issues a RETR command then a DELE command for each message it finds. If the hotmail server does not delete the message and rather moves it to trash, that also is a function of the server. Again, forget the messages in the hotmail trash folder or contact hotmail support.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Steve. Since I want to report most spam I may have to check the trash folder on hotmail occasionally. I played with the settings some more and last time I checked it was empty. So I have to keep an eye on it. I might have hit the right combination for all I know...

Archived