Reporting forwarded emails from colleagues

BRERBUNNY

Hello Spamcop members,

I have searched the forums for a similar question but could not find one (perhaps I put in incorrect operators). The other forum topics seem to cover emails forwarded from a separate domain.

My question is, can I report to Spamcop emails that have been forwarded to me by my colleagues within my own domain?

The scenario is as follows:

user1 receives a spam email on their email address user1[at]xyzdomain.com

They forward the email to me at itadmin[at]xyzdomain.com

I want to report the spam they received, so I use Spamgrabber to report the email from within Outlook (I do this for spam received direct and it's fine).

Is this a valid way of reporting an email? I do not want to end up with my colleague's email or our domain being blocked for forwarding spam internally, and then onwards to Spamcop.

I'd rather not have the users at my organisation reporting spam to Spamcop direct as they are likely to report incorrect emails.

Thanks in advance,

yours sincerely,

Brer Bunny

...My question is, can I report to Spamcop emails that have been forwarded to me by my colleagues within my own domain?

The scenario is as follows:

user1 receives a spam email on their email address user1[at]xyzdomain.com

They forward the email to me at itadmin[at]xyzdomain.com

I want to report the spam they received, so I use Spamgrabber to report the email from within Outlook (I do this for spam received direct and it's fine).

Is this a valid way of reporting an email? I do not want to end up with my colleague's email or our domain being blocked for forwarding spam internally, and then onwards to Spamcop. ...

As long as you have your mailhosts set up correctly I should think there is no danger of the parser mis-identifying the source BB. Why don't you try submitting one of those forwarded spams to see what happens? Unless you are using quick reporting you will have the opportunity to review the parse, consider the routing of intended reports and cancel the reports if it looks to be going wrong. If you ARE using quick reporting maybe you could try using the "long" submission address ("submit." instead of "quick.") for that trial - not sure if that works but you would quickly find out, with no risk.

...Hm, my thought would be that this isn't your spam, so you shouldn't report it, your colleague should. But I'm hardly an expert.... And I agree with Steve (Farelf) that if your MailHosts configuration is correct and up-to-date, there should be little danger of reporting your provider (and, anyway, you can always cancel or uncheck the report to your provider's abuse address if SpamCop offers to do that) because the parser should either report to the abuse address of the actual spam source or because it will just tell you it can't ("No source IP address found, cannot proceed").

I'm no authority either - but thought the proposal within the allowed scope. Unless Don or a deputy says otherwise ...

Yep, but unless the colleague does a Forward with attachment or their client manages not to break the Received chain on a forward Spamcop won't be able to report usefully.

Archived