Blocked email from personal account

I am the Press Secretary for the Illinois Foster and Adoptive Parent Association. We sometimes need to send out mass mailings to our group members when we are having to battle DCFS on a major topic to let everyone know what is going on and how they can help.

I am receiving this bounc back:

A message (from <backstein[at]mchsi.com>) was received at 7 May 2004 17:51:30 +0000.

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<beachannie[at]tbc.net>

Permanent Failure: 554_Service_unavailable;_Client_host_[204.127.203.212]_blocked_using_bl.spamcop.net;_Blocked_-_see_http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?204.127.203.212

Delivery last attempted at Fri, 7 May 2004 17:51:32 -0000

I need to be able to prevent this from happening. What can I do?

Thank you,

Cindy Backstein

Looks like the example (http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...204.127.203.212) is a Pump and Dump Stock Scam so if you are sharing an email server with others you will have to contact your ISP (ATT) and have them remove their spammers.

If you are not sharing an email server then you either have a spammer using your server or your sever has been compromised. I would tend to think it is that you are sharing a mail server with spammers.

Your IP will automatically delist 48 hours from the last spam report.

Spammers spoil it for everyone..............

Look at the pinned FAQ on best mailing practices. If you have a confirmed subscription list, then you can move on to other possible problems.

Possibly the person you are trying to email dropped that email address and forgot to tell you and now a stranger has it. Possibly s/he tried to unsubscribe from your list and it didn't work.

You can try emailing from another email address and ask if s/he still wants to receive your mailing.

You can go to this address and see if the sample looks like your mailing. http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

If it doesn't, then you may be sharing your mail server with someone who is sending spam, either deliberately or because their machine is compromised.

Is that the only email that has been blocked?

If you have more questions, or if one of those suggestions led to a solution for you, please post back. There are other people who have lots more knowledge than I do who may be able to tell you more about what is happening (or will ask you the right questions).

Miss Betsy

Hello Ms Backstein,

It looks like the server you were using has now timed out of the blocklist, service should be back to normal. However, as Merlyn has said, it does appear that spam was being sent and there is no assurance that the server will not be listed again unless your ISP has taken positive steps to prevent a recurrence. You should seek ATT's assurance (they will know all about the spam complaints that lead to their server entering the blocklist).

The list management practices Miss Betsy refers to are no doubt similar those you already employ but will be worth examining to ensure best practice is followed so to minimize the risk your own mailings might generate complaints.

Archived