cannot retreive pop email

Cannot retrieve pop email via Outlook. It says retreiving 1 of 6 then just does nothing until it times out with no error message. I can get my email via www.spamcop.net. Also I can get email via IMAP on Outlook. But I want to use POP. Up to 4 days ago it worked fine. This is mail sent to my spamcop.net account that I want to retreive directly from my spamcop.net account. Second question it this the best way to get help? mbalam[at]spamcop.net

I deleted the first email via the HTML interface and then the rest of the email came through via pop. But it does not make sense that 1st email got hung on pop but OK on IMAP and HTML. I still have the second question - is this the best way to get email help?

If this was a local ISP issue, I'd contact the ISP and see they could take a look at that first e-mail, maybe even delete it ... at least that's the normal routine advice I'd offer ... You mention IMAP works, so what does that show as existing in your email folder? The lack of an error message seems odd. At any rate, if you can't manipulate the contents via IMAP and clear the folder, get things to POP again, then a note to service at spamcop.net to ask JT to take a physical look at your Inbox there may be required.

In follow up to the reply from WAZOO. Thanks for your reply. What is interesting is via IMAP I could view the message - it was just a regular uncorrupt message. Via the spamcop HTML interface I could view the message. You mention contacting my ISP to delete the message - via the HTML spamcop interface I was able to delete the message myself. You mention contacting JT at spamcop - for future reference how do I contact JT as spamcop?

POP3 connection includes a few pointer files both on your system and the ISP .. usually, the user doesn't have a direct connection to the e-mail 'folder' contents on the ISP's server, thus the general guidance to have the ISP's techs take alook .. usually result is that the e-mail causing the issue gets deleted, which then causes the pointer files to get re-created/re-sunced/whatever ... a typical cause for the problem is someone sending a huge file, user sita there waiting and waiting, decides there's a problem, kills the e-mail app ... and all of a sudden, stuff is out of whack .. one end thinks the message is 'sent', the other won't quit because it hasn't ben received ...

Using the IMAP interface, you were able to handle the contents of the SpamCop folder yourself, thus solving the handshake problem.

You mention contacting JT at spamcop - for future reference how do I contact JT as spamcop

answered in the original post -- [service at spamcop.net] replace "at" with "[at]"

Cannot retrieve pop email via Outlook

I have found Norton often jams "POP" after doing its "live update" and a reboot is reqired

Are you using Norton/symantec?

In response to the previous reply. I use McAfee. And also had recently preformed a Microsoft update. A reboot did not fix POP problem. The message did not have an attachment but it was not a message I wanted so the deleted via the HTML interface was not a problem. As a comment to a previous reply - deleting the messaged via IMAP did not fix the POP problem - deleting via the HTML interface cleared the POP problem. Thanks to all for the help on the matter.

Archived