topica mailing lists

Aggie01

I'm trying to subscribe to a daily alert from a certain website, whose mailing list is managed by Topica. I never get registration emails, though, to confirm my subcription, and so, of course, never get the actual email alerts, either.

Has anyone else had similar troubles with Topica?

Your story is just a bit hard to believe. Topica is one of those world class outfits that states repeatedly, anywhere and everywhere, that they do not spam, they do not spew, and just for emphasis, they do NOT spam. And yet .....

Usually, when you see Topica listed somewhere in a conversational basis, it's most usually the age old question of "how the hell do you get them to stop spamming me" .... Last tine I checked, they've got me on seven different "subscriptions" that I haven't a clue as to where they got their alleged opt-in from any of my accounts. Just my opinion, but lying scum comes a bit closer to a description of their business practices.

Someone that has to continually say "We do not spam" is someone to be suspicious of, I agree. I haven't had any complaints about the site in question, however.

So I should ask: Are Topica and SpamCop email not to be expected to work together? If this's the case, I'll just sign up to the list with my hotmail/yahoo, and that'll be the end of it. I'd only rather not.

Are Topica and SpamCop email not to be expected to work together

I'm not sure I understand. Of course, the mail will arrive. Filtering is based on the IP address of the spew, not the domain. And with the amount of stuff Topica sends out and the fact that most people I know have given up on "unsubscribing" so most of their spew gets filtered into a trash folder at best, one would assume that most of their e-mail servers stay unblocked due to the mathmatical formula used for listing/de-listing on the SpamCop DNSbl ...

I am not quite sure what you think the problem is.

Since spamcop doesn't use the bl to block email, but to tag it, if Topica had sent the confirmation email, it should be somewhere in your spamcop inbox.

There was another topic where someone was having difficulty with the spamcop email service and whitelisting mailing lists. Since I don't use the email service, I didn't read the thread.

If you are not getting a confirmation email - either in held mail or in your regular email box at spamcop - then I would think that Topica is not sending it and that the problem is at Topica's end. It is possible (given the views of many spamcop reporters on Topica mailing lists) that Topica will not subscribe anyone with a spamcop address. But occasionally, things go wrong. I started getting virus alerts from Trend Micro and discovered that one could sign up but never got a confirmation email as promised. They were happy to be informed of it as soon as I could find the proper address to report it.

Miss Betsy

If you are not getting a confirmation email - either in held mail or in your regular email box at spamcop - then I would think that Topica is not sending it and that the problem is at Topica's end.

I've corresponded with someone with the organization in question, and they said that a confirmation email had been sent. It's not in my inbox, however, and it's not in my held-mail box.

I'll ask them further ... we'll see. Thanks, in the meantime.

Archived