Jump to content

[Resolved] Email parsing engine is broken


Recommended Posts

I've just shot myself in the foot using Spamcop. It seems some upgrade to the parsing engine went wrong.

### Steps to reproduce

1. Forward an email as attachment

### Expected result

I should get a message telling me that the spam is ready to report

### Actual result

The engine parses my email instead of the attached email and reports me as the spammer, without ever notifying me.

I'm still able to find the report by ID, but it doesn't show up in my history of reports for the past week.

Seems like a pretty serious bug which should get resolved ASAP.

This happened 2 days ago, but I think it just happened again because I just got an email from the outlook security team just after having forwarded a spam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just shot myself in the foot using Spamcop. It seems some upgrade to the parsing engine went wrong.

### Steps to reproduce

1. Forward an email as attachment

### Expected result

I should get a message telling me that the spam is ready to report

### Actual result

The engine parses my email instead of the attached email and reports me as the spammer, without ever notifying me.

I'm still able to find the report by ID, but it doesn't show up in my history of reports for the past week.

Seems like a pretty serious bug which should get resolved ASAP.

This happened 2 days ago, but I think it just happened again because I just got an email from the outlook security team just after having forwarded a spam.

The parser does not look at email address's for reporting

It looks at IP address's

You need to set your Mailhosts properly

Would help if you copied the *TRACKING URL* at top of parse page (before you submit)

Then past it here

EXAMPLE

TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6124248157z2e3f3a4b75abe88a619aee84e922e23ez

Edited by petzl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

You've confused email with email address.

When forwarding the spam as an attachment, the message will contain both the email I'm sending as a report and the spam. The engine gets confused and thinks my email is the spam and reports that.

So instead of getting an email from Spamcop, asking me to file the report and being able to get a Tracking URL, I get nothing and my data centre gets an email at their abuse address telling them I've sent spam.

Edited by interfaSys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Petzl suggested, it sounds like you need to configure/re-configure you mailhost with SpamCop.

If you will login to SpamCop.net, click on the mailhost tab and follow those instructions, it should resolve your issue.

With the mailhost properly configured, the parser will not identify your email address in the header of your attachment.

A clue that the problem is your SpamCop account configuration or your submission process, is that no one else has reported this problem sense your earlier posting.

If you have changed your mail service provider or if your mail provider has changed/re-configured their server(s)/path, that could result in your mailhost being out of date causing the reported problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mailhosts are all properly configured, that's why I think there is a bug somewhere.

It did not happen with all reports, some were processed correctly and a couple went wrong.

Because I didn't fancy getting more emails from the data centre, I haven't reported many emails in the past month, so I can't tell if this has been fixed or not.

It could also be an issue with Thunderbird not attaching emails properly.

That's with:

SpamCop V4.8.2.018

vmx5.spamcop.net

prod-sc-queue2.sv4.ironport.com

prod-sc-app4.sv4.ironport.com

prod-sc-smtp4.sv4.ironport.com

I do have the full email which wasn't parsed properly and can make it available to the team if they want to see what went wrong.

In that email, you can clearly see the non-sense where the sender and the spamvertised web site use the same IP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I've finally figured it out!

The attached emails were sent to Spamcop, but not to our assigned spam reporting address. Instead it was sent to deputies[at]. I selected the wrong address from the address book and in my recipient list it was showing as Spamcop, so I didn't think of looking twice.

I apologise for the noise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...