Spammer Faking My Domain

sparkz

I suppose it was bound to happen one day.

Since making numerous spam reports a spammer has decided to take revenge. In the last 24 hours I've had literally thousands of bounced emails from all over the world. They seem to be going through all the well known networks using my domain as the sender. Usually with a garbage address. I had this in the past but only the odd one now and again. Not in this quantity!

Given the fact that the sender address is easily faked and I've never known a spammer to use their own address. Will networks actually realise the situation or am I going to find my address is blocked from these networks?

Is there anything I can do? Is there such a thing as a internet detective who'll track down this filth so I can prosecute them? I realise I'd have to pay them.

The good news is that my new antispam setup is working a treat. Out of the thousands of bounced mails and spams only one bounce message actually made it through to my mailbox.

Thanks

Mark

Will networks actually realise the situation or am I going to find my address is blocked from these networks?

Is there anything I can do? Is there such a thing as a internet detective who'll track down this filth so I can prosecute them? I realise I'd have to pay them

No one will block you since people generally realize that the sender is forged. (except maybe some people who haven't discovered it does no good to use the block function for places like hotmail)

No, there isn't anything to do. It would probably take more money than you want to spend to track them down and effectively sue them.

If you have a web site, you can put a message on it explaining what is happening for those who may either try to complain (or possibly buy). It is a good educational 'moment' to explain about spam and spam fighting.

Miss Betsy

No one will block you since people generally realize that the sender is forged.  (except maybe some people who haven't discovered it does no good to use the block function for places like hotmail)

Thanks for the reassurance.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I've also been bombarded with viruses in the last day as well. Thanksfully none of this has had any effect except to raise my blood pressure a bit!

Not only for my personal satisifaction but as a matter of principle I'd just like to do as much as I can to stem the tide. Which I why I report the suckers as often as I can. I just wish there was more I could do which would have a more permanent effect.

From where I sit it seems spammers have won the battle. They're never going to win the war but I wonder how long it will take. Over the last year I have experienced numerous problems with my ISP and my email service (different company) directly due to spam.

Not only have they bought down mail servers, lost my mail because the system couldn't cope, experienced long delivery times but also other networks often ban my mail and visa versa because of the problems. These are only temporary situations are they are always resolved within the day (expect for lost mail) but I just notice it seems to be on the increase.

When I speaking to my ISP about blocking networks. They said they regularly block networks like AOL because of spam and they do the same back to us (this was how I found out about because AOL bounced my email). They were quite thrilled when I said I had hundreds of spams from an AOL source which was why I was trying to email them! Like they couldn't wait to block them again and just were waiting for an excuse! At the end of the day none of this really helps though.

Mark

Archived