Too much held mail to clear (20000 in a few days)

I am now receiving so much spam, several thousand a day, that I cannot clear it out of my held mail folder.

When I browse to my held mail folder, the browser just seems to lock up indefinitely, presumably due to the volume of spam in there.

This has not accumulated over a long period of time before I get accused of bad housekeeping, it is 20000 in less than a week.

My worry is that there is some legitimate email in there that I can't get to to release it. Is there any way that my held mail can be dumped by someone at spamcop?

Is there any suggestions about how to deal with this amount of spam?

I did take a look at this post, but it describes a massive Trash folder rather than a massive Held Mail folder, so the advice is not relevant as my trash folder is empty.

My problem is viewing held mail. It just hangs in both the web mail interface and the spamcop.net interface.

I've been expecting some urgent emails and I'm worried they're stuck in held mail folder, but I can't get at them to release them. :-(

I did take a look at this post, but it describes a massive Trash folder rather than a massive Held Mail folder, so the advice is not relevant as my trash folder is empty.

My problem is viewing held mail. It just hangs in both the web mail interface and the spamcop.net interface.(

I'm not sure I follow .. the original poster there talked of issue with both Held and Trash ... was able to handle the Held folder by following the IMAP instructions .... the Trash folder was just so huge, I believe that JT's intervention was that cure ... I would say, take another look and read a bit closer ..??

The user who posted the post you are referring to had a problem accessing webmail because his trash folder was very large. The proposed solution was to limit the number of days that trash is kept and/or delete immediately rather than hold in trash.

That does not help me, as my trash folder is empty. My problem, again, is that my held mail folder is so large that the browser times out trying to retrieve it.

This isn't getting very far, I'm just repeating the problem over and over, does anybody else have any suggestions/solutions?

DaiBach --

I also posted in that thread. There is another one I started before I noticed that thread, too. (Don't have the link now. Look at titles of threads for Held Mail.)

Are you sure your Trash is empty? I thought the same, but when I logged on via a mail client besides webmail, I saw 25000+ messages in there. This MIGHT have been due to JT's work on my Held Mail issue since Wazoo said he was forwarding my account for assistance in clearing it out, but I'm not sure as my Held Mail still has 9700 messages in it. (I don't THINK I'm getting that many per day now, but maybe I am :) )

At any rate, I am using this local mail client to clear my held mail now. Then hopefully it will purge my trash as I have the client set to empty trash when quitting. IF that doesn't work out, maybe I'll be able to get back into webmail and use the "Empty Trash" button on the menu at that point.

I'm still confused as I see this specific entry, for instance -

>> I was able to connect and open the held mail folder this monrning with

>> my IMAP client and I am deleting them

This sure looks like "Held" and not "Trash" and noting that it took several postings of doing certain things to get to that point. It was these "certain things" that I was suggesting that you take a look at to see if you could also apply them.

My problem is viewing held mail. It just hangs in both the web mail interface and the spamcop.net interface.

And this symptom is addressed in the previously suggested "other" Topic.

I've been expecting some urgent emails and I'm worried they're stuck in held mail folder, but I can't get at them to release them. :-(

And as such, I'm not about to ask JT to squash your files ... so it's on you to either explain why the suggested assistance and instructions aren't working or figure it all out on your own.

I understand Wazoo is determined not to help, so I do not require any more responses along the same lines thanks. Wazoo are you an employee of Spamcop? If so, they are in trouble - I PAY to use this service and such attitudes will not encourage me to renew in future.

Now, does anyone else, or any support staff at Spamcop have any suggestions how I can at last access my held mail folder and purge it. I have tried via Webmail (it hangs), via http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog (it hangs), and via Outlook using IMAP (it hangs).

I understand Wazoo is determined not to help,

If Wazoo was "determined not to help" why would Wazoo continue to read your post and take the time to respond to your posts?

so I do not require any more responses along the same lines thanks. Wazoo are you an employee of Spamcop? If so, they are in trouble - I PAY to use this service and such attitudes will not encourage me to renew in future.

No, I am not an employee. Had you taken just a bit of time to follow some of the suggestions and read some other items from other people, I've no doubt that you would have found a number of posts making clear that that 99% of the postings you see here are accomplished by users of the SpamCop tool set or those that have been impacted by the SpamCop tool set.

Now, does anyone else, or any support staff at Spamcop have any suggestions how I can at last access my held mail folder and purge it. I have tried via Webmail (it hangs), via http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog (it hangs), and via Outlook using IMAP (it hangs).

And again, the referenced Topics (and numerous others) all agree with your "it hangs" scenario, most have worked through it. As you made it known that you have "critical e-mail" in the mix, I'd already stated that asking JT to step in and squash the folder would be a bit silly, then having you ticked off because that "critical e-mail" was now gone and you didn't have a chance to grab it.

Archived