Spamcop suddenly failed to stop spam

Here's one possibility .... with a number of folks complaining about long delays in their spam processing, add in a three dau holiday in the U.S., and the decision of a number of Filtered e-mail account holders to only report items that make it past the filters (including the BL) ... not enough reports were submitted to add or keep some IP addresses in the BL, so that listing timed out, and the mail now ends up in your InBox ...

Another is that a number of your spammers has started abusing a new set of compromised machines, and again, not enough reporting has been done to move those IPs to the BL ...

That you're saying that some items made it to Held, and there's not a massive outcry that filtering has totally failed suggests that the basic system is still functioning <g>

Previously spamcop used to stop about 90% of spam, but today for example I had over 200 spam items in my mail box, whereas in Spamcop's Held Mail there were only about 60. What is happening- am I doing something wrong?

My guess is that because it was a long holiday weekend in the US there were less reports, thus less listings. I'm sure the next few days will see a marked decline in spam getting though the BL.

Archived