Mailhost Config Error: appears to traverse more than one domain

Attempting to add an email address to my already large list of mailhosts config, for a domain I'm newly receiving email in.

The domain in question is one of the Google Hosted domains (eg, I get email through outlook, but if I did webmail, it would be in a Google Business Gmail window).

Is this a case that requires d'Minions? (*not our departed dear Don , but the "minions" he left behind)

Host mx.google.com (checking ip) IP not found ; mx.google.com discarded as fake.

Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:

The email sample you submitted for <user> [at] <domain>
appears to traverse more than one domain.

Please ensure that you configure each mailhost individually and in order.

Proceed here:
..https://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?mhc2=xxxxx

Thanks for looking this over..

-T

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting the same error.

My [at]verizon.net e-mail address recently got moved over to be handled by AOL (details) and I thought I needed to update the mailhosts.

I first removed the old verizon mailhost. After submitting the new test e-mail, I get the same error:

===================

Host mtaiw-aaa01.mx.aol.com (checking ip) = 172.27.1.219

Sorry, SpamCop has encountered errors:

The email sample you submitted for <deleted>[at]verizon.net
appears to traverse more than one domain.
Please ensure that you configure each mailhost individually and in order.

Proceed here:
<https://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?mhc2=evn4V1lcmmsJVPR8>

=======================

Is anybody looking into this? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

5 months later and still no progress on this. I reported the same on February 1st 2017 in the thread below. The links given during the process don't work too, including a link that should lead to the forums here. I contacted the staff again last week about this and Richard replied asking me for more info, which I provided, and since then no reply and no fix (also as Feb 1st thread). Spamcop seems to be broken in various places with no-one interested in fixing it with the matters just being dropped silently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 4:28 PM, caltenba said:

I am getting the same error.

My [at]verizon.net e-mail address recently got moved over to be handled by AOL (details) and I thought I needed to update the mailhosts.

Is anybody looking into this? Thanks!

Solved:
Spamcop will give a waiver on this by request.  There is a suggestion that the user can gain acceptance by using a incrementally authenticating (first) the original host (Verizon) and then (second) authenticating the full headers (Verizon with AOL), but that did not work for me.  EDIT:  Was able to get it to work in 2 steps (see below)

There is a convenient work-around for this... at least it is convenient for me because I generally inspect the email for identifying data:

1. Look at the headers to identify the aol.com routing.  On mine it's easy to spot because it is partially indented:

Received: from vms172087.mailsrvcs.net ...
        by mtaiw-mca01.mx.aol.com (Internet Inbound) with ESMTPS id E0123456789AB
        for <[verizon email address]>; Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:01:03 -0400 (EDT)

This shows up in the email header and in the Spamcop error message.

2. Re-send the authentication request quoted in the Spamcop error message, but without that aol.com routing header.   That lobs off the second mailhost (aol.com) header.  You should get a "success" unless you are front ended with yet another mailhost (in which case you would need to go one deeper).

3. After the first host (verizon) is authenticated, try to go through the full authentication process again, but this time do not lob off the 2nd header (aol.com).  This requires the full authentication process, meaning a 2nd host authentication request.   This step authenticates the 2nd host (aol.com).   If it doesn't work, then spams can still be reported if the 2nd header (aol.com) is lobbed off.

4. When reporting spams, lob off the same aol.com header (if you were unable to authenticate with the full aol.com headers).   That 2nd header would not be part of the actual spam because it is nothing more than your own ISP's routing.   If the second host header (aol.com) is indented, this should be a "no brainer" step.   Obviously, if you had been able to get the full authentication process to work, you need not lob off anything.

The usual precautions:   Look at what you are reporting, especially the first few times, to be sure you are reporting the actual spammer.

Archived