[Resolved] Mailhost configuration problem

Hi!

For some time now I've been getting this message when reporting spam:

"Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source Mailhost: Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam No source IP address found, cannot proceed."

Yet I dont know how to fix this.

Luckily I only get one single spam once every week or so -not like once in the past, when at one time I reported up to a 100 a day- so it's not a biggie... yet if it ain't too much work for anyone here to explain how to fix it, nor for me to do it, be my welcome guest.

It is quit possible that your IPS/email host has changed their configuration, thus the " identified internal IP as source "   I would suggest looking at you Mailhost configuration, and/or going through the configuration process again witch I believe will add the internal IP used by you email provider.

(Also I deleted you double post.)

• 3 weeks later...

After years of succesfully reporting, lately reporting results in this message appearing on my reporting page:

"Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source
Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive
spam
No source IP address found, cannot proceed.
(...)
Nothing to do."

To my knowledge I have not changed anything. And don't know how to fix this.
Luckily I've hardly been getting spam for quite some time already (was very different once when I got about a 100 a day which I all reported for over a month till it finally diminished) so it's not a biggie now. But if it's easy to fix...

The parser identified an internal IP address as the problem.  This would be caused NOT be anything you have done, BUT caused by a configuration change made by you email host ISP.  By moving/re configuring the server that host your email server, or the internal path, could add/change internal IP addresses that email passes through getting to you/your PC.

I believe the way to fix this issue would be to 1) Look at the spam which reported the problem, and identify which of your email address/domains resulted in the error message.  2) resubmit that email/domain to MailHost.  This should allow the parser to pickup the new internal IP.

Thank you for your reply.

Only now I returned here because I just got another spam. That is about the frequency lately: I get one once a week. That's why I said it's not a biggie.

Looking at a whole screen full of header data I don't understand and have no idea what is what. I made 2 screen shots covering all that, but not knowing if it would be a good idea to make those header data public here I haven't attached them.

I would like to send them though email to someone from SpamCop though. But I don't have an email address of an administrator. I used to and was helped by him a few times, but that kind helper has passed on I understand, and I don't even have his address any more.

Looking at the Tracking URL you provided, I see that the mailhost configuration is still an issue.  Have you tried to update your mailhost to resolve this problem?

I would think that would be the first step.

Of course: deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net  is an option.

I don't know anything about updating mailhosts. First time I heard about it.

Thank you for providing that email address. I'll utilize it.

PS:

Richard just fixed it after I send an email to that address, and I was able to report the spam I had just gotten. 

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread while trying to fix an issue, https://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhedit is what you're looking for.  SpamCop doesn't have any magical powers to know which servers are or aren't "your ISP".  It works by sending an email to you directly, and noting which servers are involved when you submit the email back to SpamCop.  If anything in your mailflow has changed (including behind the scenes stuff at your ISP), you'll need to redo your mailhost config to make SpamCop aware of the new setup.

It's the same thing you had to do when you first set up your SpamCop account, and there's a tab for it at the top of the SpamCop page.

Archived