Forwarding/Keep a copy

One of the features of my current email provider I depend on is the ability to keep a copy on the server (for home retrieval) but also forward to a server running on my work computer. I would like to use that capability now that I have a spamcop account. On some ISPs I've seen the format user[at]host.com,\user in the "Forward to" field. Will this work on spamcop? How about multiple "forward to" addresses?

No. This is not a new request, and has generated a straight up negative response in the past. When you look at all the issues raised by users with just a single address involved, and then look at all the issues raised because the account folders get too large, the concept of leaving e-mail in place and then adding in multiple targets for outbound seem sure to really add to the problems.

That's just not an acceptable answer. I'm a paying customer and the forward/keep feature is something I'm getting from the FREE MyRealBox service (www.myrealbox.com). There's no possibility of my folder filling up. I pull my mail into my home computer every night. I like having copies of my "home" email at work in case something important comes in. I bought spamcop because i'm sick of spam and i'm tired of the reporting procedure and I wanted spam-free mail. Since I'm paying more I should not have to give up features.

That's just not an acceptable answer.  I'm a paying customer and the forward/keep feature is something I'm getting from the FREE MyRealBox service (www.myrealbox.com).  There's no possibility of my folder filling up.  I pull my mail into my home computer every night.  I like having copies of my "home" email at work in case something important comes in.  I bought spamcop because i'm sick of spam and i'm tired of the reporting procedure and I wanted spam-free mail.  Since I'm paying more I should not have to give up features.

...You may not be aware that Wazoo is a volunteer who has offered to try to triage problems and inquiries without compensation. If you had been, I'm sure you would have taken a less caustic attitude.

...Also, I'd like to point out that SpamCop is not in any way related to MyRealBox and so your remark that "Since I'm paying more I should not have to give up features" is not really relevant in this context.

That's just not an acceptable answer.

Well, it's the only one I can give you. I don't run any portion of the SpamCop tool set or system. You asked a question, I offered an answer based on seeing the same question asked over the years.

I'm a paying customer and the forward/keep feature is something I'm getting from the FREE MyRealBox service (www.myrealbox.com).

And ...???? Yahoo does some things, HotMail does some things, my ISP does some things, my hosted sites do some things, my own mail-server does some things, but I don't have cause to compare those different things as failures, shortfalls, or idiotic limitations when comparing these different services ... They are all different, and that's the way things are. Perhaps you'd care to make a comment or two on my request for input on the composition and contents of these Forums, one of which is to add a section for suggestions ... if "we" can get some of that Topic put to rest, I can ask JT to actually make the changes, and you can be one of the first to add in your commentary on why your desires would be a good thing ..???

There's no possibility of my folder filling up.  I pull my mail into my home computer every night.  I like having copies of my "home" email at work in case something important comes in.

What you say here doesn't actually jive with what you said before, nor with my response ... but, if it's that you need to see your mail "now" ... then perhaps there's a different configuration of the way you've got your accounts "talking" to each other that might better serve you?

I bought spamcop because i'm sick of spam and i'm tired of the reporting procedure and I wanted spam-free mail.  Since I'm paying more I should not have to give up features.

Can't quite see how you're "giving something up" .. when that "something" was never an option to begin with.

<snip>

Since I'm paying more I should not have to give up features.

Can't quite see how you're "giving something up" .. when that "something" was never an option to begin with.

...IIUC, the OP is saying that buying SpamCop apparently caused her/him to lose a feature that was there before purchasing SpamCop. That's a reasonable (albeit naive) question. IMHO, your answer is correct but incomplete.

...IIUC, the OP is saying that buying SpamCop apparently caused her/him to lose a feature that was there before purchasing SpamCop.  That's a reasonable (albeit naive) question.  IMHO, your answer is correct but incomplete.

Possibly, but that's where the phrase "then perhaps there's a different configuration of the way you've got your accounts "talking" to each other that might better serve you?" was meant to attempt to address.

Sorry to PO people. I thought Wazoo was on the implementation team, from the way the response was worded. And of course myrealbox is not related to spamcop, although they do recommend spamcop reporting as a solution to spam. I also am aware that forward multiple/keep a copy has been around since the Unix days when all ISPs had a Unix server to configure an account. It seems like a standard feature for a mail server.

Although some users could make a mess out of their account by forwarding while keeping a copy locally, a user that knows what they are doing could effectively use this feature. Maybe if it was set (via a checkbox) a popup could warn the user of the pitfalls. I hope that someone on the implemenation team will consider this feature without just writing it off as a means for users to get themselves in trouble.

Now I'll have to figure out some complicated scenario with multiple email servers to get things to work like I want. The obvious solution to create a new myrealbox account to receive filtered mail is no longer an option since they don't accept new accounts.

A little more detail on why I want this feature, to clear up any confusion. My work computer is behind a firewall so cannot automatically poll the email server. However I do have a personal pop server on this computer which can collect mail forwarded to it. This will notify me immediately when mail arrives. At home I just collect mail directly from the spamcop server. I have a polling program at home which notifies me immediately when mail comes in. This means (if forward/keep a copy worked) I would get my personal mail BOTH at work and at home. Occasionally I'm out of town and in those instances I no longer forward mail to work and I use WebMail to view my mail.

This describes the way I'm used to using my personal email account. And now I can't do it this way any more.

Archived