When reporting spam with my headers...

joezeppy

Hi,

Sorry, had a little trouble creating the best Title and Description. Basically, what I wanted to ask is this. I'm really sick of spam, especially the ones that spoof my domains.

I guess my concern is that when I submit header data, how can I make sure that spamcop knows that my domains (which are usually spoofed in the headers) are not the ones sending out spam (I do not send out spam).

Generally, the headers will include my host, and the domains that I use for forwarding and alias email addresses for my various web sites (again, none of which send spam).

I want to help in the effort to reduce spam, but I don't want to accidently label my own sites or domains as spam producers.

Any thoughts appreciated or can I just assume that the people here will know which domains are mine and which domains or IPs are not.

TIA,

Joe

Spammers usually spoof your e-mail adress, however SpamCop looks for the injection IP where the spam originates. I think that has been discussed previously in other threads. Bottom line is that unless your machine is infected and generates spam it is very unlikely you'd report yourself. If your mailhost is registered with spamcop, the analysis identifies your host as your own, as a reporter.

First of all, only the IP addresses are used to track to the source of the message. Your domain name or server name are not used in the parse because they are easily forged.

I want to help in the effort to reduce spam, but I don't want to accidently label my own sites or domains as spam producers.

Now, when parsing using the spamcop tool, you will be asked to check where the reports are going. If you notice a company related to your internet access (ISP, web hosting company, etc) listed, check the way spamcop proceeded to see if you agree with its decisions or if it messed up somewhere. If not correct, you still have the opportunity to cancel the report.

There is also the mailhost configuration which should help to inform the spamcop tool that something is not right with the parse by telling it what hosts should be expected in the messages you are parsing.

Thanks for that. Sorry I must have missed the prior posts. Funny thing too...

My son has been receiving a steady flow of emails with strange topics and content and we just figured out yesterday that it was a virus and it was being sent from his own computer.

I got him a subscription to Mcaffee and it seems to have stopped it.

I don't know if we'll ever completely stop spammers and virus' but I want to do my small part to help.

Archived