polling error for hotmail

Included your complaint in a note to JT on several issues, but will also note that if it was the "APOP" handler, by now, one would have expected many posts both here and in the newsgroups about the failure ... thus far, you're by yourself ....

The day has pretty much passed by with no one else making this complaint. JT has just stated that he will check the HotMail connection, but also pointed out that if it had failed, he's usually inundated with complaints and thus far, the only thing noted is my e-mail this morning that included your query .... that said, if there's still an issue, he needs to know your SpamCop account data .. and in this case, something about the exact time of your last attempt at logging in and catching the error so he's got some kind of clue as to where to start looking in the logs.

Well is fine for the last few hours.

I see HOTMAIL has new screens for logging on.

Maybe there was a update there.

Today the logon page for hotmail is a tad different than than when I last looked.

I did have the problem the reason half the throng don't report it is

the assumption that user is wrong and the service right.

Others sure had the problem last night (my time) I chatted to several.

Carrie

Well is fine for the last few hours.

I see HOTMAIL has new screens for logging on.  Maybe there was a update there.

Today the logon page for hotmail is a tad different than than when I last looked.

I did have the problem

No one said that you didn't have an issue. The only point I'd made was that if it was a SpamCop issue, SpamCop users don't seem to hesitate to make problems known. We're still at the spot that your query is still the lone one.

the reason half the throng don't report it is the assumption that user is wrong and the service right.

I don't believe that's the experience here ... as above, it's easy to go along with the possibility that a server crashed, the infamous back-hoe snagged a cable, anything ... but when there is only one declaration of a problem amongst the thousands of users connecting up world-wide .. In my case, I made no assumptions, but put on the "waiting hat" wanting to see if others would add in here or over in the newsgroups, so I could be more comfortable with trying to get JT's attention pulled from whatever he was doing to take a look at "this" problem. As I already had an e-mail started to him, I added in your complaint as a possible issue, but did advise him that there was no pile of other complaints to make it clear that it was a system error at his end.

Others sure had the problem last night (my time) I chatted to several.

I'll have to guess you mean other HotMail or MSN Messenger users? (Or have you found the secret IRC chaneel for the SpamCop users?) If you head over to the Microsoft peer-to-peer support newsgroups and check into the OE support groups of the Messenger newsgroups, you'll find that the complaint "can't login to HotMail/MSN/Passport" is an all too common complaint. Though there are a number of "user" screw-ups that can come into play, the massive structure of the Microsoft conglomeration definitely has its moments ... one server goes down, and HotMail/MSN users with account that start with "eb...." through those accounts starting with "fi..." find that they are locked out ... just an example ..

As a matter of fact, here's a bit of a snippet from one of the IE Microsoft newsgroups;

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 12:26 AM

Subject: Re: help with IE6 - won't load hotmail.com

> Well, you are not alone. Many others are posting about the same problem so,

> as usual, the screw up is prolly on MSN's end. Of course, MSN says

> everything's fine (http://support.msn.com/networkstatus.aspx) but users are

> telling another story.

Archived