Thank you!

Just a gush here. I've been using spam filtering options (some that query blocklists) for a couple of years now. Most recently, I was using SpamPal in conjunction with a Baysian filter.

These products worked fairly well. However, I have discovered that once spam reaches a certain threshold (in my case, nearly 70 spams a day), even downloading just the headers in order to filter the spam out consumes an enormous amount of time. And that's using broadband!

I suppose I could give up and get a new address, but I really like my current address, and anyhow that feels like surrender.

So, I did some looking around. First, I was looking for a challenge/response type system. Didn't like what I saw; it seems, too, that too many people are too dumb or lazy to figure out how to send someone on a challenge/response system an email. Then I came across Spamcop. I haven't checked this place in a long time -- it works a lot better than it used to, in terms of reporting. The mail product is superb; sever side filtering, excellent webmail client, and the easiest way to fire LARTs that I've ever seen. Now when I check my pop client (maybe IMAP soon, as I see it does that, too), I only have real emails waiting. So far, Spamcop has nuked roughly 1000 spams for me and has only registered three false positives. And all of those were from using other blocklists.

Awesome! B)

-Ryan

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're happy with the way things are working.

Just a note of caution .. From what I'm reading, you're only POPing, which usually only brings in the contents of your InBox ... You may want to try the IMAP thing soon ... the caution is that the build-up of filtered items that are sitting in the Held Folder may be building up to a level that may cause some future issues.

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad you're happy with the way things are working.

Just a note of caution .. From what I'm reading, you're only POPing, which usually only brings in the contents of your InBox ...  You may want to try the IMAP thing soon ... the caution is that the build-up of filtered items that are sitting in the Held Folder may be building up to a level that may cause some future issues.

I'm POPing, but I also log onto the webmail every day or two to clear out the spam. If I didn't, there would probably be darn near a thousand piled up in there by now. I assume that trashing the spam (after reporting, when needed) and emptying the trash clears the messages off the mailserver, right?

-Ryan

I'm POPing, but I also log onto the webmail every day or two to clear out the spam.  If I didn't, there would probably be darn near a thousand piled up in there by now.

Ahhh, that's what I didn't see in your first post. Thanks for being ahead of the game and aware <g>

I assume that trashing the spam (after reporting, when needed) and emptying the trash clears the messages off the mailserver, right?

That's more or less the way it's supposed to work <g> It's the posts by some folks suggesting that these things don't always happen that keeps some on their toes <g> One example is the post that says one view shows zero e-mails, but another view shows the thousands sitting in place that caused the login problems.

Archived