Reporting spam & my blacklist

I'm new to the system, but it seems that once you POP your mail, and you find mail that the system missed as spam, you should be able to forward that mail and report it as spam and also have it automatically added to your personal blacklist without needing to take an additional steps.

Right now, I forward it to the spamcop regular report email -- then i get an email back, then I have to go to a web page to verify the report (yikes this is too many steps for email that spamcop missed in the first place)

and also have it automatically added to your personal blacklist without needing to take an additional steps.

Most people do not use blacklists as they are virtually useless in stopping future spam messages. Very rarely do messages come from the same email address, which is what the blacklist is checking for.

Right now, I forward it to the spamcop regular report email -- then i get an email back, then I have to go to a web page to verify the report (yikes this is too many steps for email that spamcop missed in the first place)

Well, spamcop missed it because it was not sent from a server that was on the dnsbl. The other tests missed it for different reasons.

There are several ways you cn report the messages not currently on the bl to spamcop. Submitting to your submit address is one.

Contacting the deputies with your spamcop account details and asking them to enable quick reporting is another. In this way you would submit to a quick.* address and only receive a confirmation that messages were reported. This does not report the web pages in the spam message.

You could transfer the message back to your held mail folder via IMAP and report it that way. The directions for setting up an IMAP connection are pinned at the top of this forum.

You could also look for missed messages via webmail and report them before you POPped your email. That is how I do it, but I access my webmail all day long and download all the messages at the end of the day.

Post back with questions about any of these messages.

Isn't the point of the system to be rid of the Hassel of spam. I’m talking about the regular user here.. not the computer geek. I just want to be able to check my mail and If a piece of spam gets through, I want to be able to forward that mail, knowing that it will be reported as spam that escaped the system and hopfully my action will save other people from the spammer.

What I don’t want to see is reports, and emails back with links that have to be followed and all the other stuff – in a way, it feels like im being spammed yet again.

All in all, I'm very happy with the system. It seems to be catching about 95% of my spam. I guess I can just delete the other 5% and forget the issue.. but that doesn't seem right either.

If you don't want to bother confirming that the reports you are sending is not reporting your ISP (therefore forcing all email, valid or not, into your Held Mail folder) then you should probably not be reporting at all.

Spamcop is an automated tool and it makes mistakes. YOU are the one sending the reports to the ISP saying there is a problem with their system.

As I said in my first response, if you can get the deputies to turn on quick reporting, reports will be sent immediately for the source only. They determine whether you are a careful reporter by looking at your previous reports. You will get a confirmation about where those reports went for your records. Again, you should check these so if you reported your own ISP, you can contact them and spamcop to clear the error quickly. Some ISP's don't look kindly on customers who cause them to be blacklisted.

Archived