bl.spamcop.net

tushe

Just wondering, what status code do you recommend to use when rejecting mail from a host that is blacklisted in bl.spamcop.net ? Temporary (4xx) or Permanent (5xx) ? Both have advantages and disadvantages, I'm just looking for recommendatoin, and maybe what's accepted as a standard...

It really depends on what you want and the type of legitimate traffic you receive.

If you want the sender to know quickly that their mail did not go through, then the 5xx level code would be better as most software will (should) send the error message immediately.

If the senders are likely to be on the block lists imtermittently, a 4xx code would allow the sending server to try again after a while when they may be off the list.

If I were using it for my companies mail server, I would probably implement a 500 code because lots of our legitimate messages are time sensitive. If a message is delayed by a couple of hours, our production line could be affected.

Just wondering, what status code do you recommend to use when rejecting mail from a host that is blacklisted in bl.spamcop.net ? Temporary (4xx) or Permanent (5xx) ? Both have advantages and disadvantages, I'm just looking for recommendatoin, and maybe what's accepted as a standard...

I would agree that if you have wanted mail get blocked, a 500 series error is better.

Archived