Why is reporting blocked?

ewv

Why is reporting of this spammer's web sites being blocked?

This spammer is repeatedly spewing out repetitive spam with ever changing URL's for its website. The spam web page links have the same .cn reporting addresses, but with some variation in IP addresses.

(Its spam generates the "too many links" error because the parser does not weed out other URLs in a repeating pattern; they are easily found manually.)

Recent example:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z528258817z83...2b021a9f6b44afz

Tracking for one of the two obvious spam domains:

Parsing input: wepurchasesth.com

No valid email addresses found, sorry!

* There are several possible reasons for this: The site involved may not want reports from SpamCop.

* SpamCop administrators may have decided to stop sending reports to the site to prevent listwashing.

* SpamCop uses internal routeing to contact this site, only knows about the internal method and so cannot provide an externally-valid email address.

* There may be no working email address to receive reports.

But:

IP address: 222.47.94.95

No reverse lookup configured.

Host name: wepurchasesth.com

Parsing input: 222.47.94.95

host 222.47.94.95 (getting name) no name

Reporting addresses:

postmaster[at]crc.net.cn

mliu[at]crc.net.cn

anti-spam[at]chinanet.cn.net

The domain iepurchase.com, from the same spammer and which generated reporting addresses earlier today, now results in the same failure.

---------

[This post had been intended for the spamcop help forum.]

OK, as far as the "no addresses found" .. let's go with that there was an issue on the SpamCop reporting side of the house that may now be fixed. As far as your spam construction (convince me that your spammer doesn't read here or the SpamCop newsgroups - geeze), this one definitely fits the call from Ellen for the "bad spam" request - please see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1549

The reporting addresses of the type cited are working again.

Whatever was meant by the phrase "your spam construction", I had long ago submitted at least one example of the link pattern in the example I cited, as well as other patterns, per http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1549. I routinely see a couple of recurring patterns (with variations?) for which the parser does not find the links. (The example I cited still doesn't work.) I don't know if the samples have been lost or how often to report them because there is never any acknowledgement or feedback, it's hard to tell if there is some subtle difference, and the instructions say not to submit examples using different instances of the same problem-spam.

I assume that spammers not only read the forums but also (especially those using a bogus/multiple link strategy) try out their schemes on the parser in advance of spewing. This isn't exactly a secret operation. At least what they don't know is what else I am doing to track them down and report them.

(Also, thanks for moving the post to the intended forum.)

I don't know if the samples have been lost or how often to report them because there is never any acknowledgement or feedback

In general, it's basically Julian against the world-wide conglomeration of spammers, spammer wannabes, and some folks that just don't have a clue ... So add up all the complaints, whines, suggestions, flames, and the all too often heard "it shouldn't that damn hard to ....." stuff, put it all on some list, and work up the priorities, free time to be allotted to each, and work that into a portion of real-life .....

not only read the forums but also try out their schemes on the parser in advance of spewing

Just add that to the stack of reasons that not all tricks, fixes, changes, modifications are posted on the front page for all to see.

what they don't know is what else I am doing to track them down and report them

Yeah to that !!!

Archived