New Blacklist Available - E-Mail Accounts

jefft

Beginning immediately, the Spamhaus XBL blocklist is available for filtered email customers. This blocklist lists servers which have been identified as being compromised, or having a trojan infection. To select this blocklist (recommended) login to webmail, click Options, then SpamCop Tools, then email filtering blacklists.

For more information about the Spamhaus XBL, see http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/index.lasso

JT

Are any of the other blocklists "recommended"?

The goal is that you should be able to use all of them without any problems. You'll need to evaluate for yourself if the country-specific blacklists are appropriate.

JT

Minor detail, but shouldn't all this question / answer stuff be handled over in one of the e-mail Forums? ... Based on most of the other web-based things I'm stuck with using, Announcements are made by the admins / techs / whatever, but posting by the masses isn't allowed here, such that the ONLY thing sahowing up here are, in fact, Announcements .....

Are any of the other blocklists "recommended"?

The goal is that you should be able to use all of them without any problems. You'll need to evaluate for yourself if the country-specific blacklists are appropriate.

JT

Minor detail, but shouldn't all this question / answer stuff be handled over in one of the e-mail Forums? ... Based on most of the other web-based things I'm stuck with using, Announcements are made by the admins / techs / whatever, but posting by the masses isn't allowed here, such that the ONLY thing sahowing up here are, in fact, Announcements .....

Minor detail, but shouldn't all this question / answer stuff be handled over in one of the e-mail Forums?

I just wondered the same thing. I expected to see just announcements by deputies or moderators.

IMHO, any discussion about anything other than strictly help questions should go to the newsgroups. If another forum is set up, then it will be like the ng's were, where discussion happened in two or more ngs depending on where the discussion started.

The purpose of the forum was to make finding answers easier.

Miss Betsy

I just wondered the same thing.  I expected to see just announcements by deputies or moderators.

I'm going to change this soon. Announcements will be posted here. Discussion about the announcements will be in the appropriate forum.

IMHO, any discussion about anything other than strictly help questions should go to the newsgroups.  If another forum is set up, then it will be like the ng's were, where discussion happened in two or more ngs depending on where the discussion started.

The purpose of the forum was to make finding answers easier.

Actually, all discussion is appropriate in the web forums. The purpose of the forums is to make help and discussion available to people who would prefer to use web-based forums. While this may not be your preferred medium, it is the preferred medium for a lot of people.

Assuming large numbers of people recognize the inherent advantages of the newsgroups, I expect that there will be a growing, robust community of users there. Feel free to write up a FAQ about how to configure popular newsreaders and I'll make sure that gets inluded in the FAQ system.

JT

We've made a couple changes to the blacklists available for SpamCop Email customers. The relays.ordb.org zone was blocking very little email. It has been replaced by list.dsbl.org which lists open relays and open proxies. Any users previously using ORDB have been switched to DSBL.

Second, we've added the SORBS zones to the blacklists available. This should be a very good zone to use. Please pay attention to what is held for the next few days. We are testing new code which excludes the dial-up selection of the blacklist while allowing everything else. If you see a lot of false positives due to this zone, please send me a couple of examples.

In webmail, there is also now a link to the appropriate page for each blacklist. Clicking the link will open another window for that blacklist.

To get to your blacklist options, login to webmail at http://webmail.spamcop.net

Click Options, then click SpamCop Tools, then "email filtering blacklists".

If anyone still isn't using SpamAssassin, make sure you turn that on in that same page.

Please discuss these changes here.

JT

Archived