Parser no parsing?

I just discovered SpamCop and, boy, this is great!!

However, I have tried to report those rare spam messages

that managed to get into my mailbox. I have submitted

about 10 reports with full headers and clear IP addresses.

In every single case, when I clicked to confirm, I got a

message saying that the IP address was not found.

Is this a common problem? Is it happening only to me?

Perhaps the SpamCop parser fails to recognize certain

class of headers??

-Ramon

By "certain class" you may have the exact issue in hand. The SpamCop parser expects to see an RFC-822 complaint set of headers, followed by a blank line or two, and then the body of the spam. So the issue is how your submitting your spam, what tools and applications are involved, and what kind of manipulations might you be doing to "collect" the spam for submittal. Unfortunately, you make no statement that might have offered some clues as to where to send you for additional explanations.

In a response made in another Topic, user states Linux mutt is in use, and method is "forwarding" the e-mail. I can't talk specifics on mutt, but here's what to look at ... the word "forwarding" usually implies that the e-mail in question gets shoved out "in-line" as a new e-mail, and there are things like "quotes" that are inserted to show the "old" content. These quotes kill the parser, as it's looking for the "original" spam. If this is the issue, is there another form of Forwarding that won't change the content ... for example, Outlook Express works great when the spam is "forwarded as an attachment" ....

By "certain class" you may have the exact issue in hand.  The SpamCop parser expects to see an RFC-822 complaint set of headers, followed by a blank line or two, and then the body of the spam.  So the issue is how your submitting your spam, what tools and applications are involved, and what kind of manipulations might you be doing to "collect" the spam for submittal.  Unfortunately, you make no statement that might have offered some clues as to where to send you for additional explanations.

Okay. I have a track URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z538151293zd6...cf9c3912ae071fz

Perhaps the problem is that mutts adds a line like this:

----- Forwarded message from Charles Laquidara <charles[at]radioflyerx.com> -----

Before the SMTP headers? I can get rid of that line.

-Ramon

In a response made in another Topic, user states Linux mutt is in use, and method is "forwarding" the e-mail.  I can't talk specifics on mutt, but here's what to look at ... the word "forwarding" usually implies that the e-mail in question gets shoved out "in-line" as a new e-mail, and there are things like "quotes" that are inserted to show the "old" content.  These quotes kill the parser, as it's looking for the "original" spam.  If this is the issue, is there another form of Forwarding that won't change the content ... for example, Outlook Express works great when the spam is "forwarded as an attachment" ....

Problem solved. I just had to remove the mutt forwarding line,

and the parser parsed indeed!

-Ramon

Archived