Jump to content

spam increases after reporting - continue reporting?


loic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

I noticed a drastic increase of spam e-mails arriving at my inbox after starting reporting the spam e-mails using Spamcop. I usually had around 2 spam messages per Week, now I get 15 per day. First, I was wondering why this has happened. My best guess would be the administrator of the network forwarding the spam report to the Spammer. What do you think? How could that have happened?

And then, the bigger question: Do you think it would make more sense to stop reporting the spam and giving the Spammer the impression that the mailbox is unused, again oder would you propose continue reporting the e-mails?

Thanks a lot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay.  Your post got lost in the board's spam.

JMHO: I would keep reporting. As Spammer Rules #3 states: 'Spammers are stupid.'  Why would a semi intelligent spammer add your email address to the spam spew knowing that you will report them to a blocking list?  If a dummy does add you to there spamming list, definitely report them! Stupid is suppose to hurt.

There are examples of spammers wanting to get even and starting a DOS attack to retaliate, but that would be 100s/hour not just 15/day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2017 at 1:40 AM, loic said:

Hi Guys,

I noticed a drastic increase of spam e-mails arriving at my inbox after starting reporting the spam e-mails using Spamcop. I usually had around 2 spam messages per Week, now I get 15 per day. First, I was wondering why this has happened. My best guess would be the administrator of the network forwarding the spam report to the Spammer. What do you think? How could that have happened?

And then, the bigger question: Do you think it would make more sense to stop reporting the spam and giving the Spammer the impression that the mailbox is unused, again oder would you propose continue reporting the e-mails?

Thanks a lot!

Sounds you are on a SpamBots list a reporting URL would be helpful 

TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6415595129zb2aa8cfc675bfb2b9c1f042f08f6cbbcz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Lking said:

Sorry for the delay.  Your post got lost in the board's spam.

JMHO: I would keep reporting. As Spammer Rules #3 states: 'Spammers are stupid.'  Why would a semi intelligent spammer add your email address to the spam spew knowing that you will report them to a blocking list?  If a dummy does add you to there spamming list, definitely report them! Stupid is suppose to hurt.

There are examples of spammers wanting to get even and starting a DOS attack to retaliate, but that would be 100s/hour not just 15/day.

 

Thank you, Lking. I suppose, you could be right.

 

11 hours ago, petzl said:

Sounds you are on a SpamBots list a reporting URL would be helpful 

TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6415595129zb2aa8cfc675bfb2b9c1f042f08f6cbbcz

I didn't quite understand your reply.... What do you mean? Do you want to see a reporting URL of one of the spams?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, loic said:

I didn't quite understand your reply.... What do you mean? Do you want to see a reporting URL of one of the spams?

YES (your choice) would let one  see what is happening more clearly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course. I can't see huge similarities in the e-mail source and servers having sent the e-mail except for the obvious way the E-Mails are written: 3-6 lines of text, then in the next line a link. Always the same scheme. I noticed that a large part of the e-mails are sent using PHPMailer, but not all. The servers are different ones using different ip's and being even hosted by different companies.

Here are some reporting urls:

Thanks a lot for your help and your advise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sites are shut down, seems no connection, IP's are not identified as botnet?

spammer is using different compromised accounts (web servers) to send email

http://70.158.118.45http://174.136.55.173/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

http://185.182.59.59

http://174.136.55.173/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

23.91.70.90 NOT A WEB SERVER

http://85.214.48.104

 

spam reports for IP over last 2 days but none further back, so IMO it is you specifically targeted?

70.158.118.45 2 SpamCop reports
185.182.59.59 1 SpamCop report
174.136.55.173 3 SpamCop  reports
23.91.70.90 4 SpamCop reports
85.214.48.104 3 SpamCop reports

Edited by petzl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...