This is in regards to the new yahoo/rogers anti-spam initiative. This new system went into effect today and was causing some problems with spamcop reports i sent in for processing.

It appears those of us that have set up our mailhosts already and are using the above will have to redo the steps as it ends up causing errors in the processing of reports. The problem is that email is now being diverted through yahoo mailhosts instead of rogers. I deleted the previous mailhost and redid the mailhost setup steps and since then the errors have stopped. Hope this helps others.

I'm also a bit wary of these new supposed anti-spam features they're boasting about. I sent both companies an email and i'm still waiting for some type of reply as to what is going on, since they failed to notify anyone of this. My main concern is how yahoo intends to protect my inbox when they seem to be failing miserably in protecting their own yahoo groups from hosting spammers.

I made the mistake of downloading their new software and immediately ditched it. Caused many problems including the above. I did email them to say I didn't like the Yahoo "browser" plus its zillions of gimmicks and I hoped that it would not become mandatory at some stage. I was assured that it would not.

<snip>

I'm also a bit wary of these new supposed anti-spam features they're boasting about. I sent both companies an email and i'm still waiting for some type of reply as to what is going on, since they failed to notify anyone of this. My main concern is how yahoo intends to protect my inbox when they seem to be failing miserably in protecting their own yahoo groups from hosting spammers.

...It's apparently much easier for an e-mail provider (such as Yahoo) to secure users' inboxes than it is to secure their own outbound servers. I am a Yahoo!Mail subscriber and have found that their ability to distinguish spam from non-spam is very good -- almost all the spam I get at my Yahoo!Mail address goes to my "Bulk" folder rather than my Inbox folder (or whatever they call it).

Somehow i'm not reassured. I'm still waiting for a reply to my original email and they still have not sent any response whatsoever that it was even received yet.

The point is they didn't even forwarn us that this change was taking place. And i had to cancel all my days' spam reports due to the ip mismatch the change of mailhosts caused with spamcop before i realized the problem.

For those who are unsure; you can check this by viewing your email headers. The new system will show it coming from a yahoo.com server and with this added line:

'Precedence: Bulk'

which is supposed to be how they're going to weed out spam.

My point is i never asked for yahoo to check what is coming in and going out through my inbox! It's like having my snail mail picked up by my neighbour and read before he hands it over to me. I consider this the same type of privacy invasion; and i know i definitely didn't give any type of written or verbal permission for rogers to allow them that access.

Somehow i'm not reassured.

<snip>

...That's okay. I'm just relating my experience as a Yahoo!Mail user. YMMV.

The point is they didn't even forwarn us that this change was taking place.

<snip>

My point is i never asked for yahoo to check what is coming in and going out through my inbox! It's like having my snail mail picked up by my neighbour and read before he hands it over to me. I consider this the same type of privacy invasion; and i know i definitely didn't give any type of written or verbal permission for rogers to allow them that access.

...Then it would seem that you do, indeed, have a bone to pick with Rogers. Which, by the way, from my experience, does not seem so hot at controlling their own spam.

Hi -- can you send your registered SC email address to me please -- we want to look and see what the mailhost looks like. Also if you have a tracking url for a set of "new" headers that would also be useful. Please put rogers/yahoo in the subject line. Thanks

Hi -- can you send your registered SC email address to me please -- we want to look and see what the mailhost looks like. Also if you have a tracking url for a set of "new" headers that would also be useful. Please put rogers/yahoo in the subject line. Thanks

Ellen, which of us did you want to respond?

Ellen, which of us did you want to respond?

I would be interested in seeing what the mailhost looks like before the change if anyone still has the old rogers one in their list and hasn't removed and redone it and then also what it looks like redone. So anyone who can provide that info or some of that info -- all I really need is the registered SC email address

Archived