Major drop-off in spam volume

moonbroth

My vanity domain was getting pounded by thousands of spam messages a day, via dictionary attacks. (They all went into my ISP's bulk mail filters, SpamCop reports or my email client's junk mail folders, but them's the breaks when you're spamming).

A week ago, after I'd counted up how much time I spend advising family and friends (and recipients of spam with faked "From:" addresses in my domain, etc.) what to do about spam, I stuck up a basic web page about spam (with plenty of useful links, reporting addresses, etc.), just one click from the domain home page.

And now, I'm getting just a couple of dozen spam a day (none of which gets very far). I find this very interesting. Has anyone else noticed a recent drop-off (is Yahoo! getting even better at blocking bulk mail, so that it doesn't even bother dropping most of it into my bulk mailbox?), or is this maybe cause-and-effect?

Cheers, Nick

My vanity domain was getting pounded by thousands of spam messages a day, via dictionary attacks. (They all went into my ISP's bulk mail filters, SpamCop reports or my email client's junk mail folders, but them's the breaks when you're spamming).

A week ago, after I'd counted up how much time I spend advising family and friends (and recipients of spam with faked "From:" addresses in my domain, etc.) what to do about spam, I stuck up a basic web page about spam (with plenty of useful links, reporting addresses, etc.), just one click from the domain home page.

And now, I'm getting just a couple of dozen spam a day (none of which gets very far). I find this very interesting. Has anyone else noticed a recent drop-off (is Yahoo! getting even better at blocking bulk mail, so that it doesn't even bother dropping most of it into my bulk mailbox?), or is this maybe cause-and-effect?

Cheers, Nick

...Yep, I've noticed a significant drop-off of spam to my Yahoo!Mail account. But my work (MS Exchange) e-mail address keeps getting pretty much the same volume of spam it has been for a while....

Interesting ... something seems to be working for you guys.

If, on the other hand, you want to INCREASE your spam count, allow me to recommend the practice of touring North America and Europe and accessing your webmail account from a variety of internet cafes. Ouch - never again! No problems last year, this year the little devils are in a total feeding frenzy. Don't like to use HotMail or whatever because I like to keep the "business address" to the fore when handling business, but this is a little *too* much to the fore, thanks to the spammers, so I shall change my ways henceforth. Maybe the larger franchises are okay but I'm not risking my regular address again, even with them. The other big change is the reduced reliability (delivery problems) when using webmail. Guess it's the net congestion (too many hops or whatever) and of course no notification of delivery problems.

Archived