Paypal spam Problem

cDancer

So, I have an issue with getting spammed by paypal itself, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about this.

To get off their mailing list requires a paypal account, which I cannot make because the email address is already associated with a paypal account.

I have no idea just how someone managed to hack their way into getting a paypal account with my email address, considering that in order to get the email address added to the account requires one to actually take action with the link provided in the email to verify it.

The email account has never been compromised or used by anyone else.

And at this point, the ONLY emails it gets is, (you guessed it), spam from paypal.

Are you sure that the emails/spam are really from PayPal?  As I am sure your are aware the FROM: line in an email is easily forged by spammers.  Are reporting your spam to SpamCop?  It would be helpful if you would post a tracking URL so we all could see the spam and evaluate the normally hidden header.

I manage three PayPal accounts, personal and ones for non-profits organizations, and only receive PayPal emails like "Your Monthly statement is ready" or 'Payment was received from/sent to xxx'.  On the other hand I do randomly receive "PayPal" email (from Russia or Yugoslavia) saying my account is about to be closed if I didn't {Click here} to login and fix the problem. 

If the unwanted emails are from PayPal, have you looked at there Contact Us link at the bottom of the Login page?

Tracking URL:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6428699656z0a1e86d4f878ff29cd57f69a4579db36z

Embedded link to unsubscribe:

https;//epl.paypal-communication,com/T/v4000001604aa5fbca8bdbd6f4bbc786c8/b8969724df42457a0000021ef3a0bcd4/b8969724-df42-457a-a7d7-9f4ff16a3da4

Puts you onto the PAYPAL site (at the time of this posting):

https;//www.paypal,com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_unsubscribe-notify&ID=7G222975YJ340841M&EID=yO2ECASfg.5AvQ8rNgWGpi8i4VPNQ8Fw&cat=PNP&mplx=2663618726687543

As I suggested the email is NOT from PayPal, as shown by

If reported today, reports would be sent to:

Re: 142.54.244.122 (Administrator of network where email originates)

rfu{AT}epsilon.com

Another clue is the link in the body and the redirect.  Notice that the admin of the source of the email and the link in the email are the same, a none PayPal domain.

Also notice that the paypal TLD is ca, Canada.  The structure I have always seen is PayPal.com/<country code>  as in paypal.com/us/home or paypal.com/ca/home

When I get spam spoofing PayPal in addition to reporting them, I also send a copy of the spam report to spoof{AT}PayPal.com  The do acknowledge receiving your spoof email.

Well, as it happens I just received an additional data point I would include the Tracking URL except the email included links into my PayPal account with auto-login

The email is a real PayPal email with a link to page of account statements. spam report would be sent to epsilon{DOT}com same as cDancer's email.

Re: 142.54.244.113 (Administrator of network where email originates)
To: rfu{AT}epsilon{DOT}com (Notes)

So in the face of additional information, I guess I am backing off from my previous post.  With that, there are several courses of action to talk to PayPal, with the account email address, to resolve the issue.

If you did not setup the PayPal account accessed by your email address, I would strongly suggest getting the account deleted/closed.  However the account got setup, it would be hard for you to prove no responsibility for any nefarious action through the account. On the good karma side, PayPal should want to investigate how the account got set up by someone else with you in control of the email account.

13 hours ago, cDancer said:

Tracking URL:

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6428699656z0a1e86d4f878ff29cd57f69a4579db36z

Embedded link to unsubscribe:

https;//epl.paypal-communication,com/T/v4000001604aa5fbca8bdbd6f4bbc786c8/b8969724df42457a0000021ef3a0bcd4/b8969724-df42-457a-a7d7-9f4ff16a3da4

Puts you onto the PAYPAL site (at the time of this posting):

https;//www.paypal,com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_unsubscribe-notify&ID=7G222975YJ340841M&EID=yO2ECASfg.5AvQ8rNgWGpi8i4VPNQ8Fw&cat=PNP&mplx=2663618726687543

it's a criminal phishing scam from US IP 142.54.244.122 you sh/could report to

"phishing-report [ at ] us-cert [ dot ] gov"

13 hours ago, Lking said:

On the good karma side, PayPal should want to investigate how the account got set up by someone else with you in control of the email account.

Which would be ducky except that:

1. To get in touch with PayPal it requires a PayPal account, which I cannot make because the email address is already in use.
  2. Even with a PayPal account, you cannot get in touch with anyone via email, all you get back is autoreplies to "the most common questions of this nature", and using the phone fails too, I was on hold for several hours with no answer. (This was accomplished using a friend's paypal account to contact them.)
  3. The above also explains why there has been no response to any emails to any of their registered abuse and spoof address's, nobody is monitoring the inbox if the inbox even exists.

Net result: PayPal is a fully automated website with nary a human being responsible for what happens there. <_<

SpamCop nor this forum is responsible for how other members of the internet operate, but as a public service: Call PayPal Customer Support  >> {Call Us} >> {Call Us as a guest}

PayPal Customer Service

1-888-221-1161
1-402-935-2050 (if calling from outside the U.S.)
Customer service hours
Mon-Fri 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM PT
Sat-Sun 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM PT

For calls about Limitations, PayPal Debit Card, and Business Support:
Mon-Fri 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM PT
Sat-Sun 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM PT

47 minutes ago, cDancer said:

To get in touch with PayPal it requires a PayPal account, which I cannot make because the email address is already in use.

That is not really true.  If you control the email address associated with an account, Go to the login page, enter the email address,  => click on "Having trouble Logging in?" => click "Next"  PayPal will sent you an email with a link to help you change the password.

I'm Just Saying...

2 hours ago, lisati said:

There's always the option of forwarding a copy of the suspicious email to spoof [at] paypal.com As far as I know, it doesn't require you to have a Paypal account.

See https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/report-problem

of course it would help if SpamCop  sent abuse report to correct address? deliverabilityteam[AT]epsilon.com ip 142.54.244.122 is regularly reported for phishing but to wrong address

12 minutes ago, petzl said:

of course it would help if SpamCop  sent abuse report to correct address? deliverabilityteam[AT]epsilon.com ip 142.54.244.122 is regularly reported for phishing but to wrong address

That sounds like an annoying situation.

I occasionally receive suspicious mail claiming to be from PayPal. One or two I've received in recent months appear to come from the same email provider as the one I normally use, which can be a pain when the parser stops in its tracks with a message about "No source IP address found" - there's usually sufficient information available to report those ones manually.

4 hours ago, minime said:

That is not really true.  If you control the email address associated with an account, Go to the login page, enter the email address,  => click on "Having trouble Logging in?" => click "Next"  PayPal will sent you an email with a link to help you change the password.

I'm Just Saying...

How long has it been since you needed to do that?

paypal-confirm-me.png

Archived