Unsubscription URLs that are not spamvertising

As a subscriber to a couple of (unmoderated) mailing

lists, I get the occasional spam come through via mailman, which normally appends the

an unsubscribe URL to the bottom of all list mails. I tend to report

most of the spam that comes into my Inbox via Spamcop, normally without scrolling down to see if it has a mailman appendage.

Unfortunately, Spamcop's analysis assumes that the unsubscribe URL

appended to posts by mailman is spamvertising for the site that hosts the mailman software, and includes your address of the person responsible for the mailman host. Normally, I spot this and untick the option to report that site to that recipient. But, as it's ticked by default, and on a few occasions I have accidentally sent the report to blameless admins.

I was wondering if there is some kind of whitelist of sites/URLs that can be automatically excluded from being reported as 'spamvertisers'. If so, I would like to know how I can get a couple of sites/URLs approved for that list?

Regards,

--

Ross

on a few occasions I have accidentally sent the report to blameless admins.

It would be at this point that this party could then follow up on the received complaint and make the selection of an "innocent bystander" oprion. This party could also avail themselves to complaining about the reporter that allowed the complaint to go forward in the first place. Again, it is you that has the ultimate responsibility as to which reports go out and where they go.

Fair enough. I'll try to be more careful, and I've sent him an apology e-mail, so he'll know the score if any more slip through.

Just out of interest, do you take any actions other than just sending them a report? Are they added to statistics count, or some kind of blacklist for web proxies or something?

Cheers,

--

Ross

The SpamCopDNSbl only concerns itself with the originating IP of the spew .... however, there is a list or two that looks at some of the statistics pages offered up and uses some of that data for their BL .. so, it is possible that the URL in question could show up on another list, but numbers would have be a lot more than just your one or two reports, I would think.

Archived