Login Failed - Unable to set cookie

I've been getting the following error when trying to log into the members services for the couple of days:

Login failed - your browser did not accept a cookie (check browser config or cookie-manager)

I have checked FireFox 0.9.3 and IE 6.0's cookies settings and both of them have been set to accept any and all cookies from members.spamcop.net and www.spamcop.net. I have double-checked with the settings in Zone Alarm Pro, and everything but 3rd party cookies have been set.

The last time I checked -- the cookies used for authentications for spamcop in order to report spam was not a 3rd party cookies.

To further confuse the matter -- for giggles, I decided on setting Firefox to ask for my permissions on setting cookies. This has been confirmed as working because I was able to successfully log into forums.spamcop.net, and a cookie was placed when I logged in successfully here, however, it never asked me whether or not I could set a cookie for the authentication. It just flat out said it couldn't set it.

Has something been changed, or is there some sort of problem that I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

M. B.

The log on for email is http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

I've been getting the following error when trying to log into the members services for the couple of days:
More information would be help full

What kind of account are you logging into?

What is the URL of the logon screen that is failing

Are you typing in a user name and password or using some automatic logon process?

The log on for email is http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/

More information would be help full

What kind of account are you logging into?

What is the URL  of the logon screen that is failing

Are you typing in a user name and password or using some automatic logon process?

15473[/snapback]

1. Standard Reporting-type account.

2. The URL that I'm getting the failure is: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=verifylogin&returnurl=%2F

3. I get the error when I manually enter the username and password in, as well as allowing both IE and FireFox to remember the password and post it.

Hope this helps

1. Standard Reporting-type account. 

2.  The URL that I'm getting the failure is: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=verifylogin&returnurl=%2F

3. I get the error when I manually enter the username and password in, as well as allowing both IE and FireFox to remember the password and post it.

Michael, I found similar problems with several sites with the cookie controls active in ZA shortly after they released that functionality. The solution for me was to set the privacy control to off and rely on my browser cookie controls.

As an aside, I also did the same with the ad blocking and active scri_pt control. They don't seem very well designed and break a lot of pages. If you're using Firefox, the active scripting risks you face should be a lot lower than those faced by IE users. If you want ad blocking, I would suggest the Adblock extension.

Michael, I found similar problems with several sites with the cookie controls active in ZA shortly after they released that functionality. The solution for me was to set the privacy control to off and rely on my browser cookie controls.

As an aside, I also did the same with the ad blocking and active scri_pt control. They don't seem very well designed and break a lot of pages. If you're using Firefox, the active scripting risks you face should be a lot lower than those faced by IE users. If you want ad blocking, I would suggest the Adblock extension.

15502[/snapback]

After reading this message, it didn't even dawn on me that I had made the transition from 4.5 to 5.0.x which was when the problems with the cookies with SpamCop. I had checked the controls on ZoneAlarm Pro, and as you had suspected -- the cookies settings were set at medium. When I had shut it off, Firefox had successfully set the cookie for the site (for a year no less, because of my frustration)!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the information on the security. It was because of the inherent security issues that had started the conversion over from IE (aka Internet Exploder among the support people I chat with) to FireFox. I have been greatly satisfied as to the better security controls and even more prompt security patches of the Mozilla team. I had discovered Adblock about the same time that I had upgraded to 0.9.2 and have had the plug in happily chugging away are the removal of all sorts of ads that I encounter.

Thanks again for the information. It was greatly appreciated.

Archived