Can I bounce email to make my address look wrong?

Sorry, newbie question.....

If I sign up to spamcop, can I bounce spam back to sender to make it look like my email account is not active? I want to reclaim my personal email as I'm getting far too much junk nowadays, and spamcop is one service I'm looking at.

If they're not bounced, does this not mean spammers will know my address is legit?

SpamCop does not do bounces in the terms you're talking about. By "signing up" and posting into the E-mail Forum, the apparent assimption is that you are talking about a Filtered E-mail account. If you look at the description of this service, you will note that the "bounce" isn't in there" Incoming e-mail is "managed" ... manipulated by the use of whitelisting, filters, BLs, etc. Perhaps you might find data in the FAQ helpful, something like the Topic of "How I use SpamCop" for instance.

At this time, the largest majority of spammers out there don't care if your address is legit or not ... the spew goes everywhere. As a tie-in to your question, look through these Forum areas and look at all the issues dealing with bounced e-mail, coming from e-mail servers that bounce the non-deliverable stuff to the forged contents of the From: line.

Archived