What is Mailhosts Status?

I haven't seen anything from the deputies or Julian on mailhosts since it was introduced in the spring. How is the beta looking? Will mailhosts be required for reporting anytime soon? I was under the impression that the innocent bystander problem from forged "Received: From" headers was cause for an aggressive roll-out. Or is the mailhosts database now good enough that reports from unconfigured users can make use of the mailhosts DB for establishing the trusted relay chain?

Not sure what you're looking for, but Ellen has been on a pretty continuous roll in resolving issues all along. The mail-host configuration was for several reasons, self-reporting was only one of them. Not sure where you might be combining the use of a mail-host database with a non-configured reporter. There's the development of a trusted server by the parser, but that isn't really a direct connect to one's mail-host configuration. There's plenty of traffic within this Forum structure and over in the newsgroups stating that as with any tool, things can still go wrong, so some oversight is still needed.

Once configured, the only major downside noted is that one can no longer try to parse someone else's spam ... and if you're not in the practice of trying to look over someone else's shoulder to figure out what went wrong with their parse, then there isn't much of a downside.

I haven't seen anything from the deputies or Julian on mailhosts since it was introduced in the spring.  How is the beta looking?  Will mailhosts be required for reporting anytime soon?  I was under the impression that the innocent bystander problem from forged "Received: From" headers was cause for an aggressive roll-out.  Or is the mailhosts database now good enough that reports from unconfigured users can make use of the mailhosts DB for establishing the trusted relay chain?

18896[/snapback]

TTBMK it will become mandatory but there is no firm date for when. There is still work to do on it before multi-thousands of users all try to sign up mailhosts in the same 30 seconds :-) But yes it is all still on the scheduled list of things to-do.

Some of the website changes have resulted in torrents of mail and making some changes to get that under control are, right now, a higher priority along with some other stuff.

Archived