doubled dots

maxwolf

Please, look at the report http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z683454333z48...aef2050256ed73z

There are several strange double-dots ("62.176.229..13", "mexxxico..com") in the reported header although I have forwarded normal e-mail without such "typos"

18916[/snapback]

...A problem with a server through which this e-mail passed? It only seems to appear once. The same received line even has this same ip address without the extraneous dot.

Weird, I thought I had posted into this yesterday. I was also noting that the extra periods were showing up at strange places. Th eonly thing that came to mind yesterday was asking what you were using to do the "forwarding" with ... going to the possibility that the strange placement of the extra dots might have something to do with line-wrap issues .... ????

Weird, I thought I had posted into this yesterday.  I was also noting that the extra periods were showing up at strange places.  Th eonly thing that came to mind yesterday was asking what you were using to do the "forwarding" with ... going to the possibility that the strange placement of the extra dots might have something to do with line-wrap issues .... ????

19013[/snapback]

I have checked all possible sources of doubling on my side and found that the message was in "original" form up to the transmission through smtp. Unfortunately (though rather fortunately ;) ) we have no archives of sent e-mails on our mail server, so I can't be sure for 100% that our mail server made it's job perfectly correct, but the same message being sent exactly the same way to another recipient have reached destination unchanged. Therefore I suppose problems on spamcop's side...

Moreover, it was not a first time - I have found dozens of such cases in my archive. All of them have doubled dots, and all these doubles are only in host names (either symbolic or numeric), so the theory about line-wraps looks quite weak.

P.S. More feferences available on request.

Well, I wasn't offering a theory, only a first guess. I will agree in that this has come up before (though it has been quite a while) .. However, I am also thinking that I saw this over in the newsgroups, as I can't recall it being hit here. I was hoping that when you offered up the applications in use, that there might have been something there to make that bell go off in my head and I could recall the connection.

Archived