How does Liquid Web know I filed a complaint

I just filed SpamCop reports for a bunch of unsolicited lottery award anouncements -- FROM:THE DESK OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR INTERNATIONAL/PRIZE AWARD DEPT.

Company happened to be LiquidWeb.com which has now sent me a bunch of new e-mails saying that they were researching my abuse notifications.

But I thought that my personal identifying information was to be stripped in spam Cop. Am I doing something wrong when using SpamCop that is identifying myself as the reporter? Please help offer suggestions on how I can get this additional e-mail stopped...

I just filed SpamCop reports for a bunch of unsolicited lottery award anouncements -- FROM:THE DESK OF THE MANAGING DIRECTOR INTERNATIONAL/PRIZE AWARD DEPT.

Company happened to be LiquidWeb.com which has now sent me a bunch of new e-mails saying that they were researching my abuse notifications.

This last sentence and your Topic Title don't seem to go together. Di you send complaints to LiquidWeb or not? The Tracking URL of the report in question would allow viewing of both the spam and the parsing results.

As far as receiving the follow-on e-mail ... check the headers for the address line that these were sent to / from. If you reported to them and they are answering, this particular e-mail would have come from SpamCop to your registered e-mail address/account. This e-mail would then include the "To:" line in the e-mail from LiquidWeb using a report number to get back to SpamCop. SpamCop does the connection between the report-ID and who sent it.

But I thought that my personal identifying information was to be stripped in spam Cop.  Am I doing something wrong when using SpamCop that is identifying myself as the reporter?  Please help offer suggestions on how I can get this additional e-mail stopped...

You might want to re-read the FAQ again. The SpamCop tool-set "attempts" to strip out your address information. Basically, it's looking for your e-mail address and attempts to mung it out. On the other side of the 'game' is the spammer that is allegedly trying to track the complainers and the spammer already knows about the SpamCop munging. So details and data items may be inserted into the spam in ways that the SpamCop parser doesn't handle, maybe not even look at.

Some spam will have your username sprinkled throughout in clear text.

Some spam will have "a" name sprinkled throughout, going that your name was included in some spew sent to a few hundred addresses, so that name, even though not yours, still would connect you to a batch/section of a list.

Some spam may have data encoded, part of that filter busting hash crap at the bottom, something like 7 blank spaces in the middle of the fourth line of text, etc. ...

As "we" don't know exactly what the spammer is tracking, or even if there is any tracking going on, it's a bit diffcult to write an analysis sequence that would identify absolutely every sneaky thing going on ...

Other issues included in your query for "hints" are just too great to go into as a single post. How do you handle your spam? What tools are in use? How are these tools configured? What security modes are in use on your system / network?

Archived