e-mail address forwarding to same account

Brought here from a PM;

One quick question:

If I forward my e-mail address that is used on my web site to

my spam cop address then, forward it to the same address

will this cause a problem thing that my web site is spam?

No, that won't cause a spam listing .. However, what you describe will be described as "creating a loop" when you get the error message that traffic will no longer flow.

I'm also not sure why you might be including your web-site as a potential problem .. in your query, you're only talking about "sending/receiving/forwarding" e-mail ... as compared to "reporting" it as spam.

If you look at that setup this is what it will do.

It will go to your email address on your server and then your server will automatically send it to your email address at Spamcop then Spamcop will automatically send it to your email address on your server and then your server will automatically send it to your email address at Spamcop then Spamcop will automatically send it to your email address on your serverand then your server will automatically send it to your email address at Spamcop then Spamcop will automatically send it to your email address on your serverand then your server will automatically send it to your email address at Spamcop then Spamcop will automatically send it to your email address on your server........(and the beat goes on!)

You shoud have Spamcop send it to a second (receiving) account on your server.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject and helps out other newbies that might read this post. :D

It should prove an interesting exorcize to newbies to review what the headers of such looped messages look like... :P

Snail-mail can do the same (from my own experience). Only there are yellow forwarding addresses pasted one on top of another. When someone noticed that " this mail is looping" and fixed the problem, I got a letter with 10 of them. :D

Archived