JackSprat

Hi,

I have just got an email from someone I accused of spamming. They

ask me why I think the email is spam.

I do not recollect the email (and I have deleted it). All I have is the spamcop

reference number. Is there anyway I can recall the message from spamcop

to see what is was?

TIA.

One of the benefits of a paid-account is the capability to go back and see a list of past reports. This will get you some data, though not the actual spam. If you're using a free-account, then no. That it might be possible to pull up the remnants of the complaint from your reference number (not knowing just what number you're referring to), at best you'll see some parse results, pointing to who the reports "would" go to ... but you theoretically have that data from the e-mail you're asking about ...

Hi,

I have just got an email from someone I accused of spamming. They

ask me why I think the email is spam.

I do not recollect the email (and I have deleted it). All I have is the spamcop

reference number.  Is there anyway I can recall the message from spamcop

to see what is was?

TIA.

If you send the headers of the email you received and/or the report number to deputies <at> admin.spamcop.net I can tell you the subject line and who the reports were sent to but we don't keep spam bodies ... if you are a paid user you can use log into the reporting website and click the past reports link

Ellen

I now have some information about the email in question.

I still think it is spam. Do I need to take any futher action?

Also how did the spammer get my real email address to ask me?

I thought SpamCop munged my email address to prevent this happening.

Cheers,

Totally your call. if you think it's a legitimate discussion point, then maybe you can clue the other party in. On the other hand, it just may be a phishing expedition to get your real address to listwash you. Though this might get you off "his" list, "he" may just add you to a dozen more, or add it to a list that's up for sale ...

I thought SpamCop munged my email address to prevent this happening

Did you get this response to your actual e-mail address? Normally what happens is that the response would be to the report number at spamcop.net, which would then be forwarded to your registered "real" e-mail address.

Did you get this response to your actual e-mail address?  Normally what happens is that the response would be to the report number at spamcop.net, which would then be forwarded to your registered "real" e-mail address.

I have examined the headers and I think it was forwarded.

Thank you.

I now have some information about the email in question.

I thought SpamCop munged my email address to prevent this happening.

Cheers,

If the recipient of a Spamcop Report hits "Reply" the system forwards it to you, I believe. Only "unmunged" info ever goes to the spammer or ISP, IF ALL WORKS CORRECTLY. This is how the system allows accused spammers to challenge any report they think is unfair, ie, you signed up for email, email is not a UCE, etc.

Of course, spammers lie, rule #1

David

It is always polite to reply to an inquiry. Some white hats don't read or refuse spamcop reports (that almost always erroneous) because reporters never reply to explanations why this isn't spam.

The major problem is finding an address to reply from so that, if it is a spammer, they can't add your email address as "live" If you don't have one set up, then it's time consuming particularly if you think it is a waste of time. You can use the report # as the user name.

However, if you want to take the time, a succinct reply: This email was unsolicited. To the best of my knowledge and belief, I never signed up to receive email from you (and sometimes I add "nor on this subject"). spam is unsolicited email that is unwanted.

As someone else said, once in while, you get a really clueless person who has never heard of mailing best practices and has fallen for buying a list that is all "optin" and you have an opportunity to clue them in.

So it is your call.

Miss Betsy

Archived