Reporting multiple emails as a text file

jickfoo

Hi,

We've created a system that allows all users within our organization to report their spam to a central database.

On a regular basis, we extract that database to a text file. The file contains all the reported spam messages, including full headers, into a simple text file.

When I paste the contents of this file into the reporting window Spamcop only see's it as one spam message. (or so I think)

Is there a way to submit this text file so that SpamCop will see it as individual spams?

Thanks for providing a great service.

Jickfoo

Ouch!!! Though a commendable way to handle your users spam issues, that "storing them into a flat text file" is going to be a no-go. First of all, as you discovered, the SpamCop parser will only grab the first set of headers, do it's magic on that bit, then go take a look at the "body", which in this case will be not only the body of the first spam, but the entire contents of the other "converted" files ... can you see the choke in there? <g>

The fact that you "convert" them all to a flat text file has its own scary connotations. But I'll let those slide for right now.

SpamCop tools need to see the actual spam, just as it was sent. So in a short suggestion, I'm thinking the advice needed is that you'd need to actually submit the pams from that central database (and am hoping that they are still in the format of an e-mail at that point)

This will then get you to finding the limits of "multiple spam submittals within one e-mail complaint", things like each spam not to exceed 50k, total submittal not to exceed 100k .... but don't think we're at that point yet <g>

I do something just a little bit like this - after review a Pegasus Mail folder full of suspected spam (and culling out non-spam), I send the rest to the submission email address. The key is to send them individually, which I do by putting each in a temp file and calling BLAT (http://www.blat.net/) - SpamCop gets X number of emails, each an individual spam submission.

The pain is of course that I have to ack each individual message on SpamCop to get them reported, but my workload is still cut in half, since I didn't have to manually create and send each message to SpamCop.

HTH!

The pain is of course that I have to ack each individual message on SpamCop to get them reported, but my workload is still cut in half, since I didn't have to manually create and send each message to SpamCop.

HTH!

ahhh, but the ack saves many a newbie, is there not a way to allow more experienced users to send multiples without it? Or is there a possible security question involved in the use of such a system?

Not security, as much as it is from trying to pretect the integrity of the SpamCop reporting Tools and Results .. a side benefit of trying to help the user from screwing up too bad ....

SpamCop relies on a lot of other resources to function, and when those other tools fall down, bad things happen to the SpamCop parser.

Archived