Being spammed via my old university

tikboy

This is my first time to post on here. I paid the dues via PayPal and I've only been reporting..up to now anyway.

Heres my gripe and request for help-

I graduated from the University of Akron (Ohio). That was in April, 2004. Since then and progressively, the spam has been coming through their servers daily. (And its marked "found to be clean???)

I've bitched and they claim they are or have discontinued use of my old student email account. Now tonight I got an email threatening ME with consequences when its not me spamming them but them spamming me!

How to I get rid of this trash?

I'd like some good solid advice and please for God's sake don't spam me.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Report all spam you get and the IP source will get reported and possibly blocked

Without an IP of source or headers and or a SpamCop URL reporting link no one can further assist you.

Just make sure your own computer is secure, My signature show links to free programs that will secure a windows computer

I don't see anything "we" can work with here. What does your "old student e-mail account" have to do with anything? Where's a Tracking URL to allow 'us' to actually see something to analyze? The "found to be clean" would probably be some anti-virus check, but again, forced to guess at what you're trying to present ... I'm not even sure about what you mean by "paid the dues" ...???

Wazoo,

I may have gotten lucky- key word "MAY." One of the university "administrators," whom I'm convinced is an undergrad (by his spellling errors) sent me a reply stating that he found my Yahoo address and deleted it last night. This came after the threat. When I came on line this morning I actually had only ONE spam and it lacked any university referances in the header. If this condition lasts then I know I've made some progress because I'm otherwise very careful about deleting/not responding to junk in email. I've learned from being bitten by viruses twice in the last 6 years.

Thank you for the links in your signature. I'll check those.

My referance to having "paid my dues" means I sent in a contribution to spam Cop. One was $2.00 and one was $15.00. IMO, this is a battle worth winning.

You asked for a sample? Here it is MY YAHOO ADDY IS DELETED:

From Refugio B. Peterson, Jr Fri Apr 22 11:55:13 2005

X-Apparently-To: CENSURED[at]yahoo.com via 68.142.225.178; Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:07:57 -0700

Authentication-Results: mta336.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=guyana.ro; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

X-Originating-IP: [130.101.81.34]

Return-Path: <boahalannon[at]guyana.ro>

Received: from 130.101.81.34 (EHLO auk.uakron.edu) (130.101.81.34) by mta336.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:07:57 -0700

Received: from d149-67-212-84.clv.wideopenwest.com (d149-67-212-84.clv.wideopenwest.com [67.149.84.212]) by auk.uakron.edu (8.12.11/8.12.2) with SMTP id j3MI5d7E019956; Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:05:50 -0400

X-Orcpt: rfc0912;zmailer-log

Message-ID: <GQTU$sk5B1.mRKdtFP$uZB5[at]Apoxyomenos3.cashette.com>

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:55:13 +0100

From: "Refugio B. Peterson, Jr" <Refugio.B.Peterson[at]guyana.ro> Add to Address Book,

To: "Refugio B. Peterson, Jr" <boahalannon[at]guyana.ro>

CC: hedrick[at]uakron.edu, smmusgr[at]uakron.edu, jr20[at]uakron.edu, cmmiller[at]uakron.edu, kelsey[at]uakron.edu, mak3[at]uakron.edu

Subject: hedrick[at]uakron.edu, we have a quote for you Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:59:13 -0800

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="--Next_RSKQps0P5.sLHcnHXuTR0"

X-uakron_edu-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information

X-uakron_edu-MailScanner: Found to be clean

X-uakron_edu-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=1.157, required 7, DEAR_SOMETHING 1.16)

X-uakron_edu-MailScanner-SpamScore: s

Content-Length: 498

Hey hedrick[at]uakron.edu

We tried to contact you earlier about financinq your home at a lower

a*p*r

I would like to let you know that we have gone ahead and started the

preap-proval process.

Here are the results:

Amount: $203,400 - $849,600

a*p*r: 3.29 - 6.98

to continue visit......

trakship.info/mg/1

Scincerely

Refugio B. Peterson, Jr

to receive nomore

timelydelivery.info/r

I was receiving ten of these on average per day and it was increasing.

Thank you, Tikboy

My reading of those headers indicates that your university account is autoforwarding to your yahoo account. At a minimum turning off the autoforward would solve the problem. However, if you are not at the U any more, why is this account still active?

To JosephK,

You are right on the nose because I exchanged four emails with whoever this administrator was. He said the autoforwarding was found and halted and my Yahoo addy was removed. The difference on this end is unbelievable! I've checked the account every morning the past few days and my spam is down to an "nth" of what it was. Much more manageable! Now I can use some of the filters that wouldn't work previously. :huh:;)

I'd like to thank you guys for your replies. I tried everything to block that to no effect and I had no access to shutting off the autoforward at the university.

Having experienced that I have to say its amazing the amount of trash being directed at college students. I still think there should be much stronger laws to deal with these people, or put them to work in community service projects since they have so much time on their hands? :angry:

Wazoo, Josephk, Petzl? THANK YOU! B)

Tikboy :D

Yes, no doubt your ability to log in and change any settings, like the address to forward email to, was inactive. But for your convenience :( [sigh] they left the forwarding on so that you would not lose any of the "valuable" email still being sent to that university account.

OTOH, many universities have an alumni service, often called "email for life" or some such thing, which gives you an email address in the university's domain and forwards it to your often-changing real email address. That way people can always find you using the alum email address.

This can be very handy, but it can also turn very annoying very quickly if the college does not perform spam filtering on the forwarded email.

You should have to sign up for it, though, not have it imposed automatically on you, and the address should be different from any you had been using as a student -- i.e. a brand-new address which can be contaminated from scratch.

It's interesting that Yahoo's spam filters did not weed it out. But I have noticed that some e-mail services do not properly filter e-mail from forwarded accounts. I had that problem with one web-based e-mail I used. Any e-mail sent directly to the web-based e-mail's account was properly spam-filtered, but when you had e-mail forwarding from another account, they checked the forwarding server's IP address against the blacklist instead of the originating IP address in the header. That meant that mail from the forwarded account was not spam filtered at all!

Eric,

The long story made short about the university is that I was suspended and never told the reason why. After I graduated I never wanted anything more to do with them. I'm a non-trad student, Eric. I served in a war many of you may have only read about in your history books- Vietnam. I was treated like sh** on that campus. I went there to fulfill a dream I had before I went to fight the war- not to be harassed and ignored and treated the way I was treated. So this last fight was mine to win to get them to leave me alone.

I'm sorry to say but the University of Akron won't see any big endowment checks should I happen to get rich. Maybe I should sign myself-

"The Reluctant Alumni"

Tikboy

Wistex,

It occurred to me that that might be what the problem was (autoforward) but they had sent a notice over a year before that the account had been closed.

And you're right- why didn't Yahoo's filter work? I don't know. It didn't. I filtered everything I could like I said in previous post. Even placed my own email in block and it didn't stop it. As for email being filtered from the U- not hardly. There was a two tiered system on campus when I was there. Either you lived in campus apartment and had high speed or you lived in campus /controlled/ apartments and had dial up. The high speed had spam/virus filtering. The dial ups didn't. I guess it was like the fraternities- either you were in or you weren't. Per my previous post- I wasn't.

Tikboy

Archived