Forwarding pointless?

c-g

I have a few forwarders set up to automatically send some emails to spamcop's address for my account. The problem is that every time I get a 'spamcop returned errors' email'. It tells me that it can't find the message in my forwarded email. I can copy the exact email from the returned error and paste it into the spamcop report webpage and it has no problem.

Using thunderbird for mail.

Technically, this has been addresses zillions of times ... what it boils down to is the "construction" of that forwarded e-mail. From your remarks, it is apparent that it isn't being 'created' in such a fashion that the parser will accept it. I suspect that the fact that you are using Thunderbird as your e-mail client has very little to do with the "forwarders" you are describing (and not very well I might add)

This behavior is by design. :) You are not supposed to automatically forward all the mail from an email account to your SpamCop submission address MTA-style. You are supposed to forward only the spam MUA-style. SpamCop expects you to have taken a look at your incoming mail to make sure that it is really spam, which you cannot guarantee if you forward all the mail from an account to your submission address. :D

If you want to set up automatic forwarding, consider getting a SpamCop Email System account. If you do that, you can forward all your mail automatically to your SpamCop email address (which is different from your spam submission address). The SpamCop Email account filters out the spam into a Held Mail folder, from which you can easily report it in bulk using the VER screen or webmail. All the non-spam email can either be forwarded to a secret account of your choosing or be kept in your SpamCop inbox to fetch via POP, IMAP, or webmail. B)

I suspect that the fact that you are using Thunderbird as your e-mail client has very little to do with the "forwarders" you are describing (and not very well I might add)

Well hell can't say I was expecting something like that. No, I shouldn't ahve even mention thunderbird since the forwarders are on the mail server. Since I can report spam and the same page just tells me to forward them ("and not very well I might add") It seems like you should just be able to forward them. Maybe spamcop should ahve a disclaimer saying that you can't actually just forward the message like the reporting page says.

Well hell can't say I was expecting something like that.  No, I shouldn't ahve even mention thunderbird since the forwarders are on the mail server.  Since I can report spam and the same page just tells me to forward them ("and not very well I might add")  It seems like you should just be able to forward them.  Maybe spamcop should ahve a disclaimer saying that you can't actually just forward the message like the reporting page says.

29227[/snapback]

"Forward" 'can' work. However, there is a substantial part of the FAQ devoted in things like getting full headers displayed, getting the 'forwarded' item sent in a usable format, ..... my "not very well" was based on the simple "have a few forwarders setup ..." comment. This implies more than one invoked, yet there isn't mention of any detail on what apps are involved, how they are actually setup, if they were actually using "forwarding" as compared to "redirecting" .... a number of things that would have to have a correct guess made to actually try a "do this" type of response.

Archived