Automated Spamcop

maccampus

i used to get my spam messages reported with the Spamcop Bundle for OS X Mail. It worked well , spam became less until it almost vanished.

In those days there seem to form problems between Spamcom.net & Subsume Technologies , Spamcop plugin became demoted for end of life & unsupported. Since the account Subsume used also became unavailable the fully automized reporting was gone.

However the laztest version of the bundle let's me use my own account for email & webbased reporting. This was okay for me, i had only few spams left & everything except confirmation was handled automaticly for me. The email based reporting made spamcop send me a mail with links to all the reported spams in it, i just had to click them to confirm & send reports. The webbased takes me to the confirmation & send pages add once. Since these days i have to use that method, i have to bless tabbed browsing, but be honnest 25 to 40 tabs is to much for a browser window to handle.

I have to report spam in stages now since spam has increased again here - my Internet provider was taken over & their spam messurement appearently removed. Spamcop seemed to be broke in some Tiger installs fortunally on my Tiger only email based reporting is broken so at the end my version still works. But don't worry i filter my spam messages first - mannually too .

So is there a new way to get these Spamcop report mails with clickable links to all unreported spam on a Mac ?

Please tell me

Hi, maccampus,

...Does OS X Mail allow you to forward the spam as an attachment? If so, does it permit you to forward several spam at a time as attachments to a single e-mail? If so, that's how you should do it. If not, you may have to wait for someone with some OS X Mail knowledge to come along to help.

Hi, Wazoo, Jeff G and StevenUnderwood,

...Do any of you have some pull with whoever (if anyone) is in charge of the SpamCop FAQ (not the one in these fora)? http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/282.html refers to the subsume.com (SpamCop Mac OS X Mail Bundle) which subsume's web site says is going away ("[a] full year after spamcop.net revoked our reporting privileges"!).

Hi, maccampus,

...Does OS X Mail allow you to forward the spam as an attachment?  If so, does it permit you to forward several spam at a time as attachments to a single e-mail?  If so, that's how you should do it.  If not, you may have to wait for someone with some OS X Mail knowledge to come along to help.

31443[/snapback]

I don't think it does , however if i select multiple spam mail messages & click forwarth , i get a mail message containing all email contents but the headers are missing & instead there only shows the from , subject , date & to fields for each mail are included.

If i select only one spam mail at a time it suffers the same malfunction & since the header wouldn't be there , Spamcop wouldn't process them anyway.

I don't even get confirmation or error mails from the bad reports. This is also the issue if i use the Spamcop bundle's email report function , so Tiger (OS X 10.4) might be causing this since the spamcop email reporting worked fine in Panther (10.3) if i recall corectly.

Also i want to tell to all of you at SpamCop as well as Subsume that i regret the fact that there has been problems in the past & that you weren't able to solve them & find a solution for the future. I really think it still diserve another chance to go sit arund the table & discuss a proper solution for automated & build in (bundled) support for Spamcop in Apple Mail. Thanx

The last user input on reporting e-mail collected by / from a Mac was provided by spiralocean at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3809 ....

(I thought I wrote up a How to ... for Apple Mail, but guess that was just how to set-up an e-mail account) Noting that my iBook is currently non-functional and only running 10.2 anyway, so a long way from dealing with the Tiger release ....

Subsume issues with SpamCop certainly date back further than "one year" .. previous historical references exist within this Forum that also contain pointers to newsgroup traffic from way back when .... Anyway, query on FAQ contents sent upstream ...

• 2 months later...
earthlink.net,Oct 19 2005, 07:19 PM]When I upgraded from Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.4.2, my  Spamcop mail bundle (right term?) stopped working. I don't have the command under the "Message" menu in Mac Mail any more.

Is there a new version with instructions how to install it somewhere?

34469[/snapback]

I'm sorry ... what exactly in any of the above didn't you see/read? Have you visited the Subsume site? Have you searched at all for the other/previous discussions on this "bundle" ... as stated in the stuff you apparently skipped over, Doc was doing some bad reporting, got into a bit of a war with words, and went on to other things. His web site is where you'd want to be asking for an update. If one was to actually search back in the newsgroup archives, one would find disagreement even over his naming of his tool .. his thoughts/statements were that no one would be dumb enough to believe that there was any 'direct' connection between "his bundle" and spamcop.net .... totally ignoring various posts (like this one) in the SpamCop.net support areas asking for support for "the SpamCop bundle" ... This is/was a third=party tool .. any support, if it exists, can be found "there" or from Apple ....

I don't think it does , however if i select multiple spam mail messages & click forwarth , i get a mail message containing all email contents but the headers are missing & instead there only shows the from , subject , date & to fields for each mail are included.

It sounds as though you are not 'forwarding as attachment' There is a difference between just forwarding and forwarding as attachment.

I don't know how to tell you to find that function, but if you have it, then you can highlight several emails and forward to spamcop.

Miss Betsy

>I'm sorry ... what exactly in any of the above didn't you see/read? Have you visited the Subsume >site?

No, sorry, I forgot that name. And I don't spend all day every day reading SpamCop forums.

>Have you searched at all for the other/previous discussions on this "bundle"

That I did do, but none of my search terms, e.g. "Tiger," "OS 10.4" turned up anything useful.

Now, having been appropriately chastised, I will slink away, never to pollute your forum again.

CSC

earthlink.net,Oct 21 2005, 08:09 PM]
I'm sorry ... what exactly in any of the above didn't you see/read?  Have you visited the Subsume >site?

No, sorry, I forgot that name. And I don't spend all day every day reading SpamCop forums.

What the ???? you found a Topic/Discussion that "matched" your situation, but didn't bother to read any of that existing dialog? That makes very little sense. Reading "every day" has little to do with reading what's on your screen when you chose to post your query into an existing discussion. As far as "the name" ... hey, it's not my fault if that application doesn't come with a Help file, author information, or a link to its Home Page .... as stated here and in all the previous discussions and other venues, that app was not developed by anyone working at/for SpamCop.net ...

Have you searched at all for the other/previous discussions on this "bundle"

That I did do, but none of my search terms, e.g. "Tiger," "OS 10.4" turned up anything useful.

I'm trying, but can only show my ignorance in trying to search for something on "the discontinued over 2 years ago application known as the Spamcop bundle, an application for the Mac, to interface Apple Mail to the SpamCop.net reporting system" by using the magic terms "OS 10.4" and/or "Tiger" .... I can't believe you scored zero hits with that search methodology ....

Now, having been appropriately chastised, I will slink away, never to pollute your forum again.

34624[/snapback]

Yep, that'll fix 'em all right!

• 4 months later...
earthlink.net,Oct 19 2005, 08:19 PM]When I upgraded from Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.4.2, my  Spamcop mail bundle (right term?) stopped working. I don't have the command under the "Message" menu in Mac Mail any more.

I know this is an old thread, but since I arrived here through Google recently, I thought it would be good to post and save people some headaches.

The latest version of the Spamcop Mail Bundle (1.3.2), while a couple years out of date, will still work with the latest version of Tiger (at least 10.4.5, which I'm using now on two separate machines). You may have to reactivate Mail bundles on your machine, particularly after an update of the Mail software.

Go to versiontracker for the latest version and instructions on how to activate it:

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14753

Hope that helps!

Archived